First Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura808

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
not able to leave comments for now
How old were you when you got your first tortoise, and what species was it? This is just a little fun thing i wanted to ask you guys. :p
I got my first tortoise this year at age 13. He is a sulcata. :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I was 19 years old and it was a sulcata. His name was "Hoppy". I purchased him at Glades Herp for $150. He was just a hatchling. He was great.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
My brother got one when he was just 10 (that was over 40 years ago) he was a desert tortoise ( before they were illeagle to have) his name was tobey, or maybe it was a she. it was a very long time ago.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My 1st tortoise, in 1973, was a Hermann's (not sure if she was an Eastern or a Western...too many years ago!), who had been my grandfather's pet, and I inherited her upon his passing...she was in the family almost 50 years, the last 19 with me.

Previous to then, I did have box turtles, but they're only "sorta like" tortoises... :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D You know in a way, I really dislike this kind of question. It makes me stop and really compare the current age of my eldest son to his age when we got seriously into reptiles. :( :rolleyes: Just doesn't seem like it can even be close to that long ago. :(

It was close to 20 years ago and I believe my first tortoise was a pair of Bells Hingeback (I still have the male). Up to that time, we had only turtles. Next was a Yellowfoot and then a Leopard.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I was 18 or 19 (I'm 27 now) and it was my Red Foot "Snooze"
IMG_1417.jpg

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Age 17, I was given my first tortoise by a kid who didn't want her anymore. It was a female Russian Tortoise, named Zoom. That was just last year, actually...

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I'm 29 and got my first tortoise, a russian, for my 29th birthday. She was a hatchling when I got her. Will definately be a life long tortoise keeper, am already looking at other species (or another russian) I may want to add to the family when we get our house built!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I was 21 when I got my Russian hatchling. Over a year ago :)
I definitely want more Russians in the future, and I would love a few Egyptians too :D Some day...

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
My brother and I were in grade school. Not sure on the year, maybe 20-22 years ago ( I am 29 now). A desert tortoise wandered into our yard and we kept him. He was with us until 2002 when his burrow collapsed while hibernating:(

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
22. My wife and I picked up a pair of russian torts on our honeymoon. :) They were very cute.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many years ago, in the '50's or '60's, our family had a large male desert tortoise who lived in the back yard. We didn't know anything about taking care of a tortoise, and we gave him our left-overs from dinner. Didn't matter if we had spaghetti or mashed potatoes with gravy, the tortoise got it all.

We eventually moved to the country and lost the tortoise through bad fencing.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
My wife and I have wanted a tort for a long time and finally we took the plunge last Friday!! She is 35, I am 28, and Tico is a hatchling Gpp leopard.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I got my first tortoise at 12 years old. He was a Florida Gopher that someone had mistakenly picked up on a vacation and brought back to Michigan. That was 17 years ago.

I had him for ten years, he was killed when a predator broke into his outdoor pen :( I was devastated, still am. I would give anything for another one, and am just waiting for the day when a displaced Gopher needs me.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
kyryah said:
I got my first tortoise at 12 years old. He was a Florida Gopher that someone had mistakenly picked up on a vacation and brought back to Michigan. That was 17 years ago.

I had him for ten years, he was killed when a predator broke into his outdoor pen :( I was devastated, still am. I would give anything for another one, and am just waiting for the day when a displaced Gopher needs me.

I would do anything to own a florida gopher tortoise! they are my favorite animal.

TLL

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
i am 15 years old almost 16 yay
and i have 2 greeks that i got at a CA herp show for 120 (both)
:)

laura808

5 Year Member
not able to leave comments for now
It seems like alot of you guys started keeping tortoises at a young age too! I saved up my money and instead of buying an Ipod or camera or something, but I decided to get a tortoise that would hopefully be my lifelong companion and friend. :) Life is a beautiful thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.