Flies

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Anything I can do for the excessive flies in Ralph's house? Outside in the open air, not so much worried about it. But in his house? There's a ton. Is there cause for concern?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keep it cleaner and it will be less of a draw for the flies. My sulcata houses get dirty fast. Also, how are they getting in? I have door flaps and I don't typically see flies inside. Maybe post a pic of the tortoise house?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I second what Tom said. Yes, sometimes flies DO come in just because it's cooler inside, but mainly they go where the smell is.

If the ceiling is high enough you can hang sticky strips from the ceiling, but they hang down about a foot and you don't want the tortoise to be able to make contact with them.

homegrown%2Bcountrygirl%2Bfly%2Bstrips.JPG

1200px-LENTAMUX.JPG

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
They seem to be following HIM. I've checked him to make sure he doesn't have poop stuck to him or an open sore. Nope, they are just buzzing around him, mostly hitching a ride on his back. I will take a pic/video later today.

His house is 4 ft tall so I could hang the strips in there with no worry about him being able to reach it. I am going to possibly put a ledge above his front door with pennies in a plastic glass of water. That keeps the flies away from our BBQ's and food, maybe it will help with him.

Are flies harmful to torts? Sounds like a dumb question but you never know if they can get stuck somewhere and do damage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Flies are attracted to dead and rot, poop, etc. If .I saw that happening you'd better believe I'd give him a thorough going over. . . in the arm holes, between the plastron and carapace around the tail, a veryclose inspection!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I would probably be giving that tortoise a bath. Flies will lay eggs in sores so you want to make sure he isn't hurt anywhere.