Flowers?

Antoni

hey everyone. I have read that torts love flowers as a treat. So my questions are, how often can i give them these treats? I have read that some flowers and even weeds are high on toxins which could be a problem if they eat alot. Also any particular flowers i should watch out for them not to eat? Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All flowers need to be from plants that are not treated with chemicals. Essentially, you have to grow them yourself, or get them from mature plants from trusted sources. For example, I used to raid the blue hibiscus plant at my parents house because I knew they weren't using any pesticides or other chemicals in the yard. Further, you'll need to spend some time researching which flowers are safe to feed.

There are lots of food ideas and many flowers named on the list in this thread:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely research safe flowers and avoid pesticides. Also, depending on the species of tortoise some handle sugars better than others and flowers are high in sugar

Antoni

Definitely research safe flowers and avoid pesticides. Also, depending on the species of tortoise some handle sugars better than others and flowers are high in sugar
They are leopards. I know hibiscus and rose are safe. I was just wondering what other flowers they like to eat :)

Antoni

All flowers need to be from plants that are not treated with chemicals. Essentially, you have to grow them yourself, or get them from mature plants from trusted sources. For example, I used to raid the blue hibiscus plant at my parents house because I knew they weren't using any pesticides or other chemicals in the yard. Further, you'll need to spend some time researching which flowers are safe to feed.

There are lots of food ideas and many flowers named on the list in this thread:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Cool cool, thanks man! Any tips on frequency?

daniellenc

Maryland
Geranium, dandelion, wild violets, marigolds, hosts flowers, lilac, honeysuckle and many more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool cool, thanks man! Any tips on frequency?
There is no set answer. I am comfortable with flowers making up about 5-10% of the total diet. Some days mine get none, and other days they get a handful of flowers mixed with their other foods.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They love the flowers and leaves of the pumpkin vine.