VALENTINE FOR FOOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, Valentines day is coming. A lot of roses will be given to the female members of TFO. For those of us that have torts that can eat plants, weeds, flowers, are these the kind of roses that are on the safe list and can we feed them to our torts?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Not if they are from a florist. Get a rose bush instead. Plant it in orgaic soil and you will have tortie treats all spring and summer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Any type of rose can be fed to your tortoises. Different roses do have different flavors along with differing smells and amount of smell to them. The problem comes into play, is that roses sold by florists and the like have had fertilizers and pesticides used on them. Add in those sweet little packages of chemicals, we add to the water to extend the bloom life in the vase and those roses become possible death flowers. :( So no feeding those Valentine roses to your tortoises, unless you grew themselves out in your yard. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn :( Is it because you won't know how they were grown, type of soil, fertilizer which I am sure they used or is it the type of rose, long stem?

OOPS,:p I must have been posting the same time as Jacqui. Thank you, I was hoping he would be able to get it for a special treat. I will have to wait until I can grow him his own.:D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yup, gotta agree with Jacqui (oops, what am I saying! :rolleyes: (j/k ;) ) ) Any roses are fine... but not florists roses. They are treated with fertilizers and pesticides, and the water they sit in has additives to keep them from wilting. In other words, they are essentially toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.