Flying Tortoises

Gmhutchins

Location (City and/or State)
London
Morning All. Newbie here! Nice to e-meet you all!

I’m hoping to pick your tortoise full brains. ?. In just over a months time I’m probably going to be flying with two baby Greek tortoises as I’m moving from Budapest to London with the family. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or must know information before we set up? They’ll both be around 9 months old by the time we fly.

Many thanks!

Gareth

PS I guess Brexit is also muddying the waters a little. ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I know that in the US they are not allowed to be carried into the cabin. I don't know about European airlines, but I suspect it might be the same.

You'll also have to check into what paperwork you might need to import them into England.

If you have someone in London who could pick them up for you at the airport, it may be easier to ship them before you leave.

And welcome to the forum! We have many members from across the pond!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would expect you need proof of export and ownership from Turkey. Quarantine in enlgand. The real smart people will be here soon!

Relic

Here
Budapest sits astride the Danube; perhaps the eastern portion has finally annexed land down into Turkey...?

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Testudo graeca are under Cites appendix II meaning besides the usual animal paperwork you need to make cites papers for them but they dont have to be microchiped. Cites appendix I also need microchip.
At least thats what I have been told by the relevant authorities in Cyprus, also a European (supposedly) country.
For cites you must prove they are captive bred which you probably cant unless you saved the receipt so I dont know how you are gonna work around this.
I suggest you find a good home for them in Hungary and start fresh with new torts in the UK.
I know someone in Budapest that probably can provide a good care for them I can get you in touch if you want.

Tes

The Netherlands
What I've read online is that it also depends on the company you're flying with. For example, with Vueling you're allowed to take the tortoise with you, however, not when flying to the UK. And you have to keep in mind the CITES certificate that Tolis mentioned above, as tortoises are seen as endangered species and therefore not allowed to travel freely to other countries as that could be seen as smuggling.

Perhaps contacting the UK embassy might help to clarify things?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hello as I am in the UK so I just researched? Please have a read and ensure you meet the requirements but from what I read your welcome to bring them in :) check with your airline and their recommended travel guidelines.
Link 1
Link2 read down mid way to reptiles

Good luck

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are near impossible to import to the UK. The general pet passport scheme doesn’t cover them and in any case the status of these is subject to how we leave the EU at the end of the month. You will be required to have the paperwork and evidence that they are captive bred.

DeFRA (Department for Food and Rural Affairs) is your starting point for enquiring about the legalities, but I don’t rate your chances of getting them here. Please look for good homes locally.

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
Can you ship them to yourself via overnight service like the tort breeders do? Or is it too cold there this time of year?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
The issue is the torts coming in to the EU. Unfortunately, shipping them involves the same laws as carrying them.

Hungary is part of the EU. I think OP will need to speak to the authorities directly about this. I couldnt even tell you what will be required post Brexit and there is no way you can get them here before that. FYI, I have had trouble getting my dogs back into the UK after a holiday because of a tiny error our vet made on the passports, the UK treats incoming animals very seriously. I agree with the others in the UK, if they are babies, find them a good home and start again with some babies with paperwork in the UK.