Food

kellieA113

Location (City and/or State)
Street, Somerset, UK
Hi guys I'm getting mixed replies about what to feed my tortoise I've been told not to feed him lettuce and I have pellets.
I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of flowers and I was told to just feed him dandelions
Can someone confirm the best diet for my tortoise and how often to feed him as Im Feeding him once a day at the moment

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hermanni are broad leaf weed eaters. Take some time to learn about all the weeds and plants around you, because that will be the best diet you can offer and FREE too. You can also grow your own stuff to feed him. At the grocery store (if you must) favor endive and escarole, but mix in lots of other stuff too like parsley, cilantro, carrot tops, water cress, bok choy, spring mix, etc...

Here are just a few feeding suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

EElectricEEl

Great list Tom! I had a question about some though. The flowers that you didn't specify "leaves", both the flower and the leaves can be safely eaten? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About the flowers, I only know for sure that the flowers are safe. I don't know any of the leaves to be toxic, but I could not say for sure. My tortoises eat the leaves and flowers of most of those, but I don't know about petunia or honeysuckle leaves for example. Mine eat the whole gazania plant cape honeysuckle plant, lavatera leaves and flowers, rose leaves and flowers, but mine didn't eat the geraniums the few times I offered them.