PixiePie

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey
Hi! Just wondering if I can feed my Greek spur thigh tortoise dock leaves? Seen lots of the HUGE ones and I would love to give them to him! But not sure if he can have it 🤔 online says yes but tortoise table says no so very confused! 🥴

EricW

Houston, TX
Tortoise Table is conservative (IMO) and the difference in opinion comes down to ones opinion on oxalates. It is best if you read why Tortoise Table says no and form your own opinion. It technically is safe, but Tortoise Tables says to not feed it due to the high oxalates. It is Tortoise Table's stance, in general, that any food high in oxalates not be fed. They do mention Dandelion high in oxalates, but still say feed in moderation vs no feed. I am not sure what constitutes "high" for them.

If you are okay with feeding oxalates, then as long as it is within a varied diet (keep in mind other high oxalate foods that you may be feeding with it), feeding in moderation should be okay. Personally, my torts avoid most high oxalate foods on their own and even with dandelion, will limit their intake on their own so long as I am providing enough other foods for them.

Tortoise Table comments on Dock:
"All the plants from the Polygonaceae family contain high levels of oxalic acid which binds with calcium and other nutrients preventing their absorpbtion, and possible cause of kidney stones and gout; so best to avoid."

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With any food, that is on a feed moderately, you can feed it, but make it a small part of the diet and don't feed daily. All foods should be fed with a wide variety of others.

PixiePie

Surrey
Tortoise Table is conservative (IMO) and the difference in opinion comes down to ones opinion on oxalates. It is best if you read why Tortoise Table says no and form your own opinion. It technically is safe, but Tortoise Tables says to not feed it due to the high oxalates. It is Tortoise Table's stance, in general, that any food high in oxalates not be fed. They do mention Dandelion high in oxalates, but still say feed in moderation vs no feed. I am not sure what constitutes "high" for them.

If you are okay with feeding oxalates, then as long as it is within a varied diet (keep in mind other high oxalate foods that you may be feeding with it), feeding in moderation should be okay. Personally, my torts avoid most high oxalate foods on their own and even with dandelion, will limit their intake on their own so long as I am providing enough other foods for them.

Tortoise Table comments on Dock:
"All the plants from the Polygonaceae family contain high levels of oxalic acid which binds with calcium and other nutrients preventing their absorpbtion, and possible cause of kidney stones and gout; so best to avoid."
Thankyou!!

PixiePie

Surrey
With any food, that is on a feed moderately, you can feed it, but make it a small part of the diet and don't feed daily. All foods should be fed with a wide variety of others.
I just feel so uneducated on what to feed him 😭 when we got them we were told lettuce, tomato and cucumber!

EricW

Houston, TX
I just feel so uneducated on what to feed him 😭 when we got them we were told lettuce, tomato and cucumber!
I still walk around my garden and have to look up plants. I can't keep them all straight. Then with different sources saying different things, it adds to the issue.

PixiePie

Surrey
I still walk around my garden and have to look up plants. I can't keep them all straight. Then with different sources saying different things, it adds to the issue.
It just seems that the plants I see the most aren’t the ones he can have!🙈

EricW

Houston, TX
It just seems that the plants I see the most aren’t the ones he can have!🙈
Yeah, I have that problem sometimes. The list seems long of things they can have, then are start looking things up and nope, nope, nope.