forest hinge back tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
How come whenever i see hinge backs for sale they are only $50,and always cheaper than all the other tortoises even full grown???

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Maybe, Supply and demand. I do not recall ever seeing a hatchling.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
yea ive never seen a hatchling either,i jus figured maybe theres an abundance of them an maybe they have a history of being wild caught with parasites...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
SILVERSTAR said:
How come whenever i see hinge backs for sale they are only $50,and always cheaper than all the other tortoises even full grown???

Because sometimes the best things in life are cheap (or free). :D Currently they are still readily available in large numbers. Once we exploit the wild ones to the point they become a bit more limited, price will go up. It hasn't been that many years since many other species that were also cheap and easy to find, but today they are pricey and rare on the market place. One that always jump quickly to my mind are the beautiful Flowerbox turtles.

SILVERSTAR said:
yea ive never seen a hatchling either,i jus figured maybe theres an abundance of them an maybe they have a history of being wild caught with parasites...

There are a few captive hatchlings out there and more and more every day.

As to the wild caughts having parasite issues, that has not been my experience.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
thats good to kno about the parasites issue cuz as long as they are only $50 i was thinkn aout gettn a breeding group.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you are thinking of getting a trio, do lots of research first. These guys can be heart breakers. They can be very picky about how they want their habitats, their lighting, their humidity, and very common problem is even to just get them to eat. The original price tag may be cheap, but most folks find they end up spending a lot more in time, frustration, and possible vet bills.

Often these guys are severely dehydrated and stressed by the time they get into a keeper's home. If it is too severe their systems may already be shutting down and sadly often it appears hingebacks just sorta give up on life. I said they don't normally have bad parasite issues, but with the stress, it does often cause blooms and the resulting too high of parasite loads may develop.

They usually start out as also being very shy tortoises who want nothing to do with humans. They at first just want peace, quiet, and a some what dark hidden area to be in. Many folks don't even see them eating for a long time.

Not to be negative, just wanting you to go into keeping them with your eyes open, they can be heart breakers with a very high death rate. Once you get them eating, de-stressed, and socializing they do then tend to become wonderful and out going tortoises.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i understand,i was already doing research and i was only considering getting some,i am used to shy tortoises i have a star and hes pretty shy at times.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
SILVERSTAR said:
i understand,i was already doing research and i was only considering getting some,i am used to shy tortoises i have a star and hes pretty shy at times.

With newly acquired hingebacks, it's not shyness. It's kinda like 'do or die.' Like what Jacqui said, they are very sensitive, often loaded with parasites, may refuse to eat, and many other problems. If you do decide to get a hingeback, I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.