What species is my tortoise? Please help I was sold as a bells hinge back but I'm not so sure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think you're looking in the wrong place for a hinge. The hinge is on the carapace, not the plastron - right in front of the back leg. So we need to see a side view of the tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup. there's definitely a hinge there.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thats kinixys belliana nogyeui. Western Bells. Those guys wont hinge as much as the others. You can see the hinge a little. most nogyuei will stay this way. Good looking tortoise. They are kinda hard to find mates for here. I have been on the hunt for some mates for a lot of mine too.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That animal is mature too. I have a female a little larger than yours maybe an 1" or more and she is 30 years old.

Stacey265

London, United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply, I really can't see the hinge but I guess you all know more than me. As he jumped out of his vivarium the other day I just thought he must be lonely so have been getting him out more. Anyone know of a speeches he could co habit with ?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The only species that she should be kept with is the same. Males can also get pretty aggravating to females. They love to breed all the time. So in the event you do find anther one, accommodate a much larger enclosure for them or separate enclosures to limit stress on the female.

Stacey265

London, United Kingdom
The only species that she should be kept with is the same. Males can also get pretty aggravating to females. They love to breed all the time. So in the event you do find anther one, accommodate a much larger enclosure for them or separate enclosures to limit stress on the female.

Is he a she then!!!!! I thought he was male

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Agree with Kelly, 100% female kinixys nogueyi. Nice species, still quite rare in the States I believe, but being bred in the UK and Europe now frequently, so if you do find a partner for him, there is breeding and incubation literature available.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Coming late to the party, but yep you have a hingeback.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Here are some hinges to show you what they may look like. The hinge is found before the back foot and on the top shell (the carapace).

Stacey265

London, United Kingdom
Thank you for all your help everyone, where is this species from and what lighting and environment should I give her also what food. I think I've been given all the wrong info when buying her .

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It's found in western Africa, predominantly moist grasslands but also on the edge of forests. Mick has written a good caresheet, check the stickies in the hingeback section.