Forest moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The highlighter

5 Year Member
I just got back from a chain store, and noticed the exo terrra forest moss(not eco earth, but forest most that comes in a brick) was on clearence. Of course, I bought everything they had(12 bricks) because they are 25 cents a brick.

Anyway, I bought them origally for my salamanders and frogs, but I realized i bought to many bricks, I so I was wondering if They would work for a "humid hide" for a russian tortoise. My only concern was them eating it.

Thanks

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Moss works wonders for humid hides! I began using it after another TFO member, terryo, started using it, and both of us have had success with it. Just mist it everyday, and keep it away from your lamps, otherwise it turns brown. Ernie never tried to eat it, he loves to lay on top of it thought. But I'm sure if they ate a bit of it, it wouldn't do any harm. It reeeeally helps hold in moisture, and I also wet my substrate, keep fake plants in there too, and cover half of Ernie's enclosure. I used to spread it out all over my cage but Ernie would dig and throw it everywhere. I use it now around his food plate and water dish to keep the dirt out, and it works really well. To perk up the moss, just soak it in some water for about 5 minutes.

Look at my pictures here: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11260.html

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Actually I used moss from LLLreptile. But I think terryo used that moss..does it come in a clear, plastic box thingy?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I havn't seen/used that one, but either way it should be fine, try it out. I love moss particularly, and some people don't. Its all about your preference. Let me know how it works out for you. Your little guy might try to snack on it at first, but he shouldn't continue to try and eat it all the time. If you're worried keep a close eye on him, and add a small amount first, but really I don't think you have anything to worry about.

moonraser

5 Year Member
I am using it in my Redfoot enclosure she don't eat it... but I don't really like this because it smell bad. I soak them overnight and change the water sereral times to take out the sand and the bad smell.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Florida
sammi said:
Moss works wonders for humid hides! I began using it after another TFO member, terryo, started using it, and both of us have had success with it. Just mist it everyday, and keep it away from your lamps, otherwise it turns brown. Ernie never tried to eat it, he loves to lay on top of it thought. But I'm sure if they ate a bit of it, it wouldn't do any harm. It reeeeally helps hold in moisture, and I also wet my substrate, keep fake plants in there too, and cover half of Ernie's enclosure. I used to spread it out all over my cage but Ernie would dig and throw it everywhere. I use it now around his food plate and water dish to keep the dirt out, and it works really well. To perk up the moss, just soak it in some water for about 5 minutes.

Look at my pictures here: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11260.html

Your enclosure is beautiful! What kinds of plants are those you have in with him? I want to try to copycat you :)

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
floridakat85 said:
Your enclosure is beautiful! What kinds of plants are those you have in with him? I want to try to copycat you :)

They are fake plants from Michaels :) They're cheap, and they help to hold in moisture. The best part is they work perfectly for hides; Ernie LOVES to hide under his plants :p

Status
Not open for further replies.