forrest moss

Vilt

Location (City and/or State)
Lithuania
hi ! I collected some forrest moss, washed it with boiling water and cleaned it closely cutting of the ends. I' d like to use it in the wood bridge hide, but I wanted to know if other moss can be used instead of sphagnum moss..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know the answer to that, but personally, I would be hesitant to add anything from nature to my enclosures if I wasn't 100% sure if it's toxic or not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. Even if not toxic, tortoises tend to eat that stuff and it can cause an impaction. I don't use moss of any kind in my enclosures.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The forest moss gathered there looks pretty much what I used to gather & place in my box turtle enclosure here in Maryland. Never ever saw my box turtles attempt to eat it, and i surely doubt it’s toxic. I never trimmed or boiled it either, seems like a lot of work / effort really. Initially it all looked nice in the enclosure, but it all eventually dried up & died since it’s too warm in a torts enclosure.

So, looks nice, but probably not worth the effort. Easier to go with “approved” tried and true substrates.

What kind of tortoise do you have?

Vilt

Lithuania
thanks for replies ! I have a Hermann hatchling :) I'm trying to create a humid hide, because even with a closed lid, the night heat lamp dries the enclosure very fast...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just tossed out moss that was in my Chameleons enclosures.
Ants had set up headquarters in it.
The only time I used it previously was for baby Redfoot. And they did try eating it.
Two for two for me.
I'm not a fan.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thanks for replies ! I have a Hermann hatchling :) I'm trying to create a humid hide, because even with a closed lid, the night heat lamp dries the enclosure very fast...
To create a humid hide, use a dark colored plastic tub of some sort, flip it up side down, cut out a small door hole, and wet the substrate under it. You don't need moss, and you want succeed using an open ended log hide.