Fostering a Sulcata Tortoise with pyrimiding. What should I feed him now?

Bernadette

Any advice would be appreciated..

Hello all,

My neighbor found this large tortoise roaming our street in Los Angeles. His underside and feet were muddy so I am assuming he is an escapee.
So I volunteered to care for him to his owner is found or comes forward since I do love turtles. I am unsure of his species and couldnt find an image online that truly represents what he looked like until I realized that his "horny lumps" on his shell was probably pyramiding from not being fed properly by his owners.
So.. I was on my way out the door and hadnt yet googled what they ate and gave him a pear and a stalk of celery. He ate the entire thing! He also chomped on some old dry leaves in a flower bed and a strawberry.
This morning when he awoke I gave him so wild growing weeds but he was uninterested. I also set down a shallow cookie sheet sized plastic pan with water and set him in it to drink. He didnt.
Basically I am wondering if I the damage is done and he is set in his eating ways since he is only interested in fruit or should I go buy some Orchard Grass Hay.
I just want to keep him happy till his owners claim him.

Thanks again.

20150208_160149.jpg 20150208_160344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
He honestly doesn't look that bad, seen much worse. Sulcata, as for diet, he prob has a taste for fruit. Does he graze? Do you have tort friendly plants? by the way, salutations.

Bernadette

Thanks Guys,
Well.. to be honest I have a bunch of those clover looking weeds, and some that look similar to micro greens. Not to mention those dandelion stalks..but he doesnt do anything but bull doze over them exploring the yard...haha. He stops to smell old dryed weeds that were on the cement, a couple of rocks and the garden hose. Thats when he found the random strawberry and went to town. By the way, he is pretty heavy ..guessing around 30 lbs and 17 inches in length from tip to tip of top shell.
When I was a kid, another neighbor gave me their desert turtle which was half the size and smoother. He lived off fragrant roses, grass, and ICEBERG LETTUCE! He was definetely a different species and the lettuce didnt hurt him a bit. My neighbor gave him to me because he kept attacking his precious flowers...haha. Sadly he escaped when the gardener left my gate open. I missed him so much, he was like my little watch turtle pacing back and forth in front of gate.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
He's a grass Kant tortoise so the best thing for him to eat is the grass and weeds in your yard. Don't give him and fruit.

Do you spray chemicals into your grass or weeds?

If your going to give him store bought foods make sure they are dark leafy greens like turnip greens, mustard greens, red leaf lettuce (no iceberg or spinach)

Where on the globe do you live and what are your temps right now?

Bernadette

Thanks for the reply,
tortdad,
I live in Southern California near Los Angeles. The temps right now are moderately warm at high 70s-mid 80s. He is uninterested any any of the grass, weeds, or plants I have in yard. btw,,, I looked up the Tortoise Table for recognizable plants etc.. .Unfortunetly in my area, it is not uncommon for people to disregard proper care for pets in favor of what is easily available to them, so I am assuming that is why he only wanted the oear, strawberry and celery. I just wanted to make sure he would eat and thought the water content would be good in case he was dehydrated as I placed him in shallow water pan and he didnt drink.

Also...He just tried to eat a 1" rock.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bernadette, and welcome to the Forum! We have a good care sheet pinned at the top of our Sulcata section.

..oh, and - pyramiding (the bumpy shell) is caused by the tortoise being kept too dry during his first year of life, not by his diet.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is a good looking Sulcata. As long as your yard is chemical free he will eat the grass as long as you don't feed him something else. Fruit is like candy for children. Good luck with him. Hope his family comes forward.

Bernadette

Thanks all...Hmm, Guess I misread. I thought I read pyramiding is due to being fed too much nutrient rich foods. (whatever that means). He seems to also want to eat dried up pulled grass weeds and leaves. Jodie, your right about the fruit/candy comparison. I never looked at it that way. Can you tell me how and when do tortoises hydrate? Is it soley through their food intake? I have a shallow pan large enough for him to climb in and out but hes not interested. He did do a massive pee yesterday and I found a tortoise turd this morning.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
There is a lot of old bad info out there. It is very likely you read it right, it is just wrong. They do need water available, so your pan is great. He should hydrate on his own. He can also be soaked if he needs it. That large a bathtub or cement mixing pan might work. You just put shallow water in something he can't get out of n leave him for half hour or so. Warm water btw.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Welcome & that is very nice of you to look after him.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome! Where in SoCal are you? I'm notorious for shooting down any store bought items...but if you must...all you need are endive, escarole and radicchio! These are the best items you can provide outside of your lawn. Also, consider growing your own opuntia (prickly pear cactus). This is a great calcium source for them! My biggest rule...NEVER feed lettuce! Nope! Not even romaine!

Bernadette

Great advice! Thanks everybody.
Its almost been a week, and even though the flyers went up...no one has claimed him yet. I will definetly attempt at growing my own feed for him. I read that bird feed will sprout some nice edibles. Last year another neighbor was watering his garden and a Green Cheek Conure flew into him! He asked me to care for it and again...no one claimed him either.
My son in law asked why do these cool animals seem to find you, but my longtime neighbors know I have a soft spot for strays and the unwanted,,lol. I think the animals do too. :)
The tortoise hasnt drank from that pan although he does appear to sniff at it, so I started soaking him in my bathtub. Warm water just below his neck plate (for lack of a better word). I read twice a week.. is that good? I only kept him in for 10 min...as he seemed really annoyed.
I guess I will also google signs of dehydration in tortoises unless anyone knows of any here.

Thanks again

Bernadette

UPDATE

Well wouldnt you know the little escapee's owner just lived down the street and claimed HER today. My daughter went to the owners house and seen her housing and mate. My daughter said when the tortoises saw each other, they skuttled to each other...Awww :<3::<3::<3::<3:
My first mind told me her owners couldnt have lived too far.
I am just glad she is with her rightful owners and her mate. The owner said she was preggers and knew this due to lumps under /inside her arms? I dont know. I just pray that she is and stays well taken care of ...I HAVE LEARNED ALOT FROM YOU ALL AND NOW FEEL LIKE A MOTHER HEN TO MY BIG FAT BABY..:(. Maybe if she is preggers and everything goes well, I will ask for a yearling. Or not. It is a hassle making sure mailmen and solicitors close my gate properly,,lol.
Well...thats it. Take Care Everyone...

Bernadette