Found Sulcata: help!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Someone I know just found a Sulcata and I managed to convince her to take the tortoise and try to find a good home for him. He’s not full grown but nearly so it’s a lot to suddenly have a big Sulcata. We live in Portland, Oregon. Does anyone know of a resource to get some help rehoming him? A sanctuary? Rescue? I’ll post in the sale/rehome section too.

Attachments

• A778F6B1-F698-4DB2-B157-7A9CB7E885CF.jpeg
    A778F6B1-F698-4DB2-B157-7A9CB7E885CF.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 48B62422-D769-4A60-AE09-A26A5F2DC8BC.jpeg
    48B62422-D769-4A60-AE09-A26A5F2DC8BC.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@maggie3fan might know of someone. Check craigslist, Facebook and nextdoor app. You might be able to find it's owners.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes tell your friend to first try to find the rightful owner. This should always be the first step. Contact local vets, pet stores, animal rescues and to check craigslist. If after a couple weeks or so it's not claimed then try to find it a new home.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Yes tell your friend to first try to find the rightful owner. This should always be the first step. Contact local vets, pet stores, animal rescues and to check craigslist. If after a couple weeks or so it's not claimed then try to find it a new home.
Yes of course this is what she is doing now but she needs a backup plan right away and probably even while the owners are being looked for since it’s a large, strong tortoise and it’s October… it’s not easy to temporarily house a Sulcata if you’re not set up to do so.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes of course this is what she is doing now but she needs a backup plan right away and probably even while the owners are being looked for since it’s a large, strong tortoise and it’s October… it’s not easy to temporarily house a Sulcata if you’re not set up to do so.
How cold is it getting where you/friend are?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
How cold is it getting where you/friend are?
We are having a record breaking warm and dry fall but that could change anytime and will. It’s sunny and in the 70’s with night time temps at about 50. Normally it would be raining daily, no sun and highs in the 60’s. Sooo… at least that is on our side for the moment. 10 day forecast looks stable and good.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Someone I know just found a Sulcata and I managed to convince her to take the tortoise and try to find a good home for him. He’s not full grown but nearly so it’s a lot to suddenly have a big Sulcata. We live in Portland, Oregon. Does anyone know of a resource to get some help rehoming him? A sanctuary? Rescue? I’ll post in the sale/rehome section too.
If you can't find the owner, and you don't want him, I will take him and next road trip South I' ll take it. I will pm you my number.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I can't say hooray since, first I don't know if that was really the owner, and second, if it really was the owner, I hope he or she has not had the tortoise for long and is the one who is the cause of the terrible condition it's in.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I can't say hooray since, first I don't know if that was really the owner, and second, if it really was the owner, I hope he or she has not had the tortoise for long and is the one who is the cause of the terrible condition it's in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That tortoise is not in horrible condition. All of us that have had a tortoise for more then about 10 years have a pyramided tortoise. My first leopard is badly pyramided even though I found this forum only 5 months after getting him. Changed the care regimen and it was already too late.
Also it's only been a couple years that the MVB bulb has been found to cause pyramiding. When I joined, it was THE bulb of all bulbs to use.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
TammyJ...why can't you just think, "hooray! Another lost tortoise returned to the correct owner???" And because I personally told them what to do...you see they got it right. So slink back into Tammy J and keep quiet"

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ok. I am glad the owner has the tortoise back! I would be glad if it was my tortoise! For sure 😊