Found Tortoise ID

Mluxo91

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Hello all,

A friend of mine got a call today from their neighbor who found this guy/gal in their yard. None of them know much about tortoises and asked if I would be able to care for it until the owner is found or in the case it would need to be rehomed.

Would anyone be able to help me identify the species of tortoise? It looks to me like it may be a juvenile/young adult sulcata tortoise? (in NH) The neighbor says it weighs probably 50 lbs or so.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 24348.jpeg
    24348.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 6

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
S/he's lovely.
The first 2 threads here by Tom will help you with temps and diet they need until you find his owner.
There are a lot of sully keepers here so ask as many questions as you like.
They are very strong and can bulldoze fences so make sure you have a very secure enclosure he can't push through or climb over or he'll go walkabout again.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Judging by that relatively smooth shell, he/she has been well cared for and likely just escaped. I'll bet someone is looking for it.

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
Judging by that relatively smooth shell, he/she has been well cared for and likely just escaped. I'll bet someone is looking for it.
...I hope not a "drop off" with cold temps coming....we are seeing lots of animals released and rescues full in my area.....so hoping an escapee. Looks bigger than 50 lbs to me.

grizzclan

Lakewood, CO
...I hope not a "drop off" with cold temps coming....we are seeing lots of animals released and rescues full in my area.....so hoping an escapee. Looks bigger than 50 lbs to me.
Can you please provide some pictures that would definitely make it easier for the people here to ID him?

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Looks more like a 70 to 90 lb. to me. Looks like a well cared for escapee to me. Someone is missing him.