Four Month Old Burmese Star

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Hey Guys! So, I am obviously new to this and want to make sure I provide the best care possible and make sure he/she is healthy. If I could, I would sit and stare at him all day LOL! But anyway, I received him Thursday and just wanted to see if his shell looks healthy to you guys. I have been trying to do as little handling as possible, only pick him up to do his morning soak and let him go outside in his outdoor enclosure for about 30 mins to catch some natural UVB rays. This morning he got a great poop in and we went to spend his time outside before it got too hot. I picked him up to bring him inside and noticed the bottom of his shell felt soft, I wouldn't say extremely soft, but defiantly not rock solid like his back. I don't know if this is because he is still so so young and still developing.. but I worry be because I have been misting his enclosure a few times a day (like 3 to 4) to help with humidity. So now I'm wondering if I should not mist the substrate as much? Or like I said if he is just still developing and young. I have orchid bark down as his substrate! He eats and sleeps well, is curious about things in his enclosure- so he seems healthy to me! Just wanted to ask others! Thank you guys all so much for all the support! tempImage8QwbGj.pngtempImageKjHsiL.pngtempImagepRU682.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A slightly soft shell is normal at this age. Too mushy is not.
He should be in a closed chamber enclosure with damp substrate. Misting really doesn't keep humidity up all day and night like what is needed at this age.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
A slightly soft shell is normal at this age. Too mushy is not.
He should be in a closed chamber enclosure with damp substrate. Misting really doesn't keep humidity up all day and night like what is needed at this age.
He is in a closed chamber! With humidity and temperature gauges. The shell is not too soft at all! Just wanted to make sure some softness is ok. Thank you so much! I have spider plants in the enclosure for now that my mom had propagated so the roots were in the air not touching any fertilizer or soil. I do the occasional mist just to ensure it stays nice and humid! But typically stays between 75-85 humidity

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is in a closed chamber! With humidity and temperature gauges. The shell is not too soft at all! Just wanted to make sure some softness is ok. Thank you so much! I have spider plants in the enclosure for now that my mom had propagated so the roots were in the air not touching any fertilizer or soil. I do the occasional mist just to ensure it stays nice and humid! But typically stays between 75-85 humidity
If you dampen the substrate by pouring warm water into the corners, stirring it up some, that should hold humidity without having to mist. Your gauges will tell you when you need to add more water. Usually once a week if dampened enough to begin with.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
If you dampen the substrate by pouring warm water into the corners, stirring it up some, that should hold humidity without having to mist. Your gauges will tell you when you need to add more water. Usually once a week if dampened enough to begin with.
I saw where you had posted to do that and I actually poured water down the counters this morning!! Again, thank you!