Freaking Cat...?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
This is what the kitten did over the weekend. We went out of town and even though a neighbor was willing to watch him, he didn't watch the kitten close enough since this is what I came home to. Hopefully it comes out in the pictures.

crackedglass001.jpg

crackedglass002.jpg

I'm guessing the kitten tried to jump into the table and didn't see the plexi as well as he should and ended up ripping that piece off. I'm going to get some more plexi cut today and hopefully fixed by tomorrow morning-ish. I should have probably used thicker plexi to begin with, but this still drives me nuts. I hate it when things break.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
make sure he didnt use it as a litter box..
might have to put some sort of top on it, till you know what his intentions were..

M

Maggie Cummings

Kittens are pretty hard to have around small tortoises and birds. I have 2 cats and older one who loves to bask with sleeping tortoises, but when they move she leaves. And a 1 yr old 15 pound kitten who wants to play with the small torts and eat the bird. While I can trust the older one, I really can't trust the kitten. So I understand how you feel![/i]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
don't forget sometimes cats are insane and act that way.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I've got a top on everything but about a 1' strip on one of the edges for the heat lamp and everything. This is the area that he was trying to jump into. I chatted with the guy who was watching him over the weekend and he said that he kept jumping in there and just laying under the heat lamp. I don't let the kitten run loose when we're not home and not able to watch him. That table is where I keep my 7" RF and the kitten is a little scared of it (which is good IMO). The hatchling and the kitten have no way of meeting since that would be a recipe for disaster.

I just got some new plexiglass panels cut. It ended up being about twice as much as I thought it would be (they wanted to charge about 4x as much as I had expected, but were nice enough to lower the price for me). I had some glass panels I bought from them and had them cut about 2 weeks ago and they were really cheap, but I brought my own plexi in this time. After they began cutting I asked/found out that it's cheaper to buy their stuff and have them cut it than it is to bring your own in and just have them cut it. I would have saved about $5 off the price they lowered for me (and about $15 off the "normal" price) if i had bought theirs. Weird huh?

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
My friend had two cats and a kiddie pool for her son's Russians. The kitten slept with the torts under the light, and the elderly cat thought it was a conveniently placed litter box. I'm just lucky that neither my cat or dog view the turtle as something that's even alive.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I don't trust our cats as far as I can throw them, and trust me at times I've been tempted to see just how far I could. Never had one break plex, but I've had them break glass plenty of times. (Either knocking things off shelves or jumping on aquariums).

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Balboa said:
I don't trust our cats as far as I can throw them...

Which depending on the day is decently far:p

Tonight I'll be drilling holes in the plexi, but I'm deciding whether or not to actually switch the new ones in or just to wait for the cat to break it more/keep trying to get in and try to teach it to avoid the tort table. May be better to wait until it learns that the tort table is a kitten free zone.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
I must be really lucky. I have three cats: one who could care less about my torts, one who is deathly afraid of the torts and one who would lay her life down on the line to protect her friends. This one has a constant eye on the torts and tries to bring them toys to play with. She's even gone as far as trying to "teach" them how to play by dropping the toy in front of them, batting it around and dropping it back down in front of their faces. I'm pretty sure if my other two cats changed their minds and tried harming the torts, she would sacrafice her friendship with them to protect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.