New Enclosure for Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
George has been with me for a week now and I've finally managed to get a more permanent indoor tub set up for him. His first tub was clear-ish plastic and he was starting to get a little too interested in digging at the corners. Since I had some time this morning, I got him settled in to his new 55 gallon tub.

As the picture shows, I cut down one side and replaced part of it with plexi so we can see him from the couch. Like everyone else, I want to go bigger next time. When the weather gets better (and I can do the sealing/staining outside, I'm planning on building a proper table for him. I think this should do nicely for the next couple of months, though. My next bit of tort research will be into plants (and fakes) that I can add it to give it less of a "big blue tub" feeling. :)

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    931.9 KB · Views: 210
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 231

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
Thanks, everyone.

Quick question for the group: In my smaller tub, the ambient temp on the cool side was between 70-72, while the basking spot was 95. In the bigger tub, the cool side is running closer to 64-68 (room temperature for me), with the basking spot getting to 93. Should I do something to bring up the temp a little on the cool side (like adding a CHE or putting a half cover in the tub). My MVB is between 8-10 inches from the top of George's shell depending on exactly where he is basking so I don't want to drop it much lower unless I can find a consensus that it's the way to go.

OK, so it wasn't quite a quick question after all. :)

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
What did you use to adhere the plexi?? I have the same tub for my Eloise and the sides are not flat they are wave...how did you seal the waves between the plexi? I was just telling my Fiancee this evening that I want to be able to see her from the couch when I upgrade her but I could and would keep the tub longer if I could see her.

jwang1983

5 Year Member
AllCoExPat said:
George has been with me for a week now and I've finally managed to get a more permanent indoor tub set up for him. His first tub was clear-ish plastic and he was starting to get a little too interested in digging at the corners. Since I had some time this morning, I got him settled in to his new 55 gallon tub.

As the picture shows, I cut down one side and replaced part of it with plexi so we can see him from the couch. Like everyone else, I want to go bigger next time. When the weather gets better (and I can do the sealing/staining outside, I'm planning on building a proper table for him. I think this should do nicely for the next couple of months, though. My next bit of tort research will be into plants (and fakes) that I can add it to give it less of a "big blue tub" feeling. :)

beautiful, but might be a little bit small for an adult Russian

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can cover part of the tub (cut the lid down to 1/3, for example).

I don't think the cool side is an issue, see if you can get the basking side a bit warmer? Do you have any leeway in moving the MVB down an inch or so? (no closer than 12" to tort's shell for the 100w).

I like it, and it will work well until warmer weather!

I found some inexpensive smallish silk upright plants in VERY heavy pots at Michael's craft store. Mine don't try to eat them, but they add some interest. I wedged it in the middle between a brick and the water dish, as mine like to circle the periphery.

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
Eloise said:
What did you use to adhere the plexi?? I have the same tub for my Eloise and the sides are not flat they are wave...how did you seal the waves between the plexi? I was just telling my Fiancee this evening that I want to be able to see her from the couch when I upgrade her but I could and would keep the tub longer if I could see her.

I actually "bolted" the plexi to the tub with very small stainless steel machine bolts, nuts, and washers since I was a little concerned about chemicals in most available epoxy resins. I pre-drilled holes at each "high point" of the waved part of the tub and when I tightened the bolts it flattened itself out against the plexi.

A lesson learned from this little project - go ahead and have the people at the Home Depot cut the plexi for you. I ended up shattering a sheet because I thought I could improvise at home. Also, be very cautious drilling the plexi - I cracked off a big chunk of the second sheet I was using since I thought I could get away with using a dull drill bit. With a new bit, especially once friction warmed it up, the process went ok.

lynnedit said:
You can cover part of the tub (cut the lid down to 1/3, for example).

I don't think the cool side is an issue, see if you can get the basking side a bit warmer? Do you have any leeway in moving the MVB down an inch or so? (no closer than 12" to tort's shell for the 100w).

I like it, and it will work well until warmer weather!

I found some inexpensive smallish silk upright plants in VERY heavy pots at Michael's craft store. Mine don't try to eat them, but they add some interest. I wedged it in the middle between a brick and the water dish, as mine like to circle the periphery.

The lip of the lamp hood is about 11 inches from the top of his shell, but since the bulb itself is recessed pretty high into the "bell" I might be able to drop it an inch or so without the bulb itself being too close. I'll get out the tape measure and see what I can come up with.

I hadn't thought about craft stores, but that sounds like a good idea. It's not exactly growing season for much of anything here in Maryland at the moment!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Notes taken.... thank you this is an awesome Idea....now to figure out how to get a second floor attached for some height variance...Oh the amazing things we can do with a rubbermaid tub!! I want to figure out how to use the currently wasted lid in the creation of a second level.

AllCoExPat

5 Year Member
Well, for two weeks George has been happy with his enclosure and didn't seem to mind having a "window" in the side of his tub. Yesterday afternoon and evening I noticed he was doing alot of scratching and bumping against the plexi. I'm hoping that since this was the only time he's seemed bothered by it that it's a passing thing and I won't have to block off the window to keep him from drying to get "out." It's been a real hoot watching him stomp around the enclosure without needing to "hover" over the top of the tub!

Status
Not open for further replies.