Freaking out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoparis

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am a newbie and also a newbie tortoise owner. I have recently rescued a 6" male Russian and I don't know what to do as far as hibernation goes! I have read caresheet after caresheet and am still a bit confused!

His appetite has slowed a LOT (as in...when I attempt to feed him, he doesn't eat.) and I am quite worried! There are small bowel movements, thankfully, and he is having a warm soak each week and is allowed some "roam around time" in my bedroom, which I have made tortoise safe. He is spending a LOT of time sleeping underneath my bed, but is a bit active in the morning and afternoon. I am located in Northern California, so it is just beginning to get cold and rain, so I am preparing to bring him into an indoor enclosure VERY soon. I just have to run out to Walmart and purchase the items needed for a Rubbermaid enclosure.

Can anyone guide me through this not eating/not hibernating process and calm a new mother down?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello & welcome to the forum! I wish I could help you, but unfortunately I cannot. I'm just beginning learn about Russian Tortoises myself. Do a little digging & I'm sure you'll find the answer to your question, or just give it a little time and someone will come along and give you a hand! Good luck! Enjoy the forum! :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

I don't know much about hibernating either so I wont be any help..

babylove6635

5 Year Member
do not hybernate him for at least a year. when you get his lighting up and running which you need a basking light and a uvb light for sun the power sun 100w is a great one i have the power sun 160 w but i have 5 rt's and keep the lights on for 12 to 15 hours as they know its time to hybornate. try to get a 50/50 mix of sand and coco coir for the bedding a water dish and a cuttel bone. and some kind of hide. and a food dish. mine have slowed down quite a bit also and i live in utah. i hope others will add thing too im sure ive missed some. good luck and congrats you will love them. and this forum will replace face book. lol it did me the people are a great help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi xoparis:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Its not a good idea to allow a brand new tortoise to hibernate. You need to keep him awake so you can become familiar with him and all his little idiosyncrasies. I don't allow any of my tortoises free range in the house. There are too many things they can get into trouble with. Also, its quite cold on the floor.

You have to fool him into thinking its still summer. Have a light on him for 14 hours a day and make sure he lives in summer-time conditions. If you can't fool him into staying awake, then you can fool him into thinking he has hibernated. Let him sleep for a couple weeks then wake him up with longer, warmer days.

May we know your name?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. It is not "necessary" to hibernate.

Also, I recommend against using sand as part of your substrate. Some people do it and get away with it, but it does pose an impaction and irritation risk.

xoparis

5 Year Member
Oh phew. Okay, hibernation was something that I was stressing about a lot. I've got a vet appointment set up for him this week as well.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. My RT's have slowed down drastically this past month. They seldom eat, or eat very little. They burrow into their substrate and sleep a lot. Every other day or so, I wake them and give them a nice, warm soak in their bathtub. Good Luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I happen to agree with the person above who suggested sand/coir as a great Russian substrate. I use sand in all my enclosures and have been doing so for many years. I tried the rest and really don't like them (and neither did my tortoises). I do use some of the other substrate materials in small amounts to mix in, layer, or just add a change of footing in different areas. ALL substrates run some risks, not just the "evil" sand so many fear. :D I would however recommend a bit less sand, like 20-25% sand.

Relax a bit, your going to do fine by this Russian. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
xoparis said:
Hello all! I am a newbie and also a newbie tortoise owner. I have recently rescued a 6" male Russian and I don't know what to do as far as hibernation goes! I have read caresheet after caresheet and am still a bit confused!

His appetite has slowed a LOT (as in...when I attempt to feed him, he doesn't eat.) and I am quite worried! There are small bowel movements, thankfully, and he is having a warm soak each week and is allowed some "roam around time" in my bedroom, which I have made tortoise safe. He is spending a LOT of time sleeping underneath my bed, but is a bit active in the morning and afternoon. I am located in Northern California, so it is just beginning to get cold and rain, so I am preparing to bring him into an indoor enclosure VERY soon. I just have to run out to Walmart and purchase the items needed for a Rubbermaid enclosure.

Can anyone guide me through this not eating/not hibernating process and calm a new mother down?

All well said.
If he is spending a lot of time on the floor or under your bed, that is probably too cold. Floors can be a lot colder than the air temperature. You can also consider soaking him more often until he perks up, even daily for 15", then perhaps 2-3x per week, depending on how he is doing (does he have clear urine, does he use water dish, etc.)
Sounds like you are planning to keep him inside in a tort table, good advice about the Powersun UVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.