freeze damage

treefrog010

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
culpeper va
I live in virginia. I have been breeding torts here for over 35 yrs. I built my 9 redfoot breeders an outside 4x8 box that keeps the temp inside 37 degrees above outside temps. This time of year we average 54. Today was 42 for a high. Somehow they managed to break the hold on the 3 inch wide heavy duty velcroI had on the door. I came to home from work to find 7 of them out in the grass most were non responsive. Did not respond to touches to legs or head. Head would actually flop from side to side if tilted. Most were responding better after a warm bath however, the smallest a 8.25 inch dwarf cherryhead male has not come around beyond head movement and front legs he can pull himself with front eggs but can not lift himself up .any body got any idea how to help him further other than taking him to a vet. Only 1 around good with torts and he is 2 hrs away.frank 540 522 7419

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Im thinking that something got to your torts and busted it open vice them breaking out, especially given the cold temps coupled with their lethargic condition. It sounds as if you are doing the right things to warm them up and keep them warm. I dont see what more a vet can do other than recommend what ur already doing. Good luck, keep us posted!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I can't think of anything outside of keeping him nice and warm.
What a horrible accident for your babies.
Good luck!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should always warm up a very cold tortoise very slowly. After a few hours of gentle warming you can then put them into warm water.

The thing is, they've cooled down totally, clear into their core. So now it takes a while to get the core back warmed up. Never put them directly under the light or on a heating pad. Just let them warm up gently.

This was posted by GBTortoises regarding hibernating tortoises, but it is sound info for your situation:

The tortoise should be allowed to slowly warm up to the lower end of the activity range out of hibernation. Definitely not exposed to extremely high temperatures and extreme light. Once they are alert the next thing should be fresh water. A hibernating tortoise does not expel wastes during hibernation and the first instinctual function that they have is to flush their body of those hibernation wastes and in the process rehydrate themselves. After that, the tortoise can be exposed normal activity temperatures and light intensity. I wait until the following day to offer any food, once their warm and active. I try to make sure that it's very good quality, high fiber foods. The high fiber is very important to re-establish their gut bacteria which aids in properly digesting and processing foods. Water should be offered daily at least for the first week or so and frequently after that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spending a few hours at 42 should not kill them.

Velcro for your door latch? Are you ready to buy and install the $2 metal latch now?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Unless they got out during the night. It was 27 degrees over here on the east coast. Did you check on them before you went to work?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Padlock sounds appropriate, then you will know I someone broke into the box.

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
Thanks for all the suggestions. The box is made with 2 inch thick styro board with washable bathroom panels on both sides. Screws do not hold well in this material. tried latches. Nothing tried to get in, they have been out all year and have been doing great. Never a predator issue except an occasional rabbit or crow sharing some of their chow. I check them morning and between 5 and 6 pm plus an afternoon check when my work schedule allows. I know they could not have been out at night since I am still testing this new box and checking inside temps on a regular basis. Except for the male cherryhead, all the others are between 11.5 and 14 inchers.

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
Spending a few hours at 42 should not kin ll them.

Velcro for your door latch? Are you ready to buy and install the $2 metal latch now?
Tom, I had tried $2 metal latch and other types of latches also. None hold well In the materials used in construction.also, I trained Schutzhund. And ring sport for many years. What do you train?

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
Im thinking that something got to your torts and busted it open vice them breaking out, especially given the cold temps coupled with their lethargic condition. It sounds as if you are doing the right things to warm them up and keep them warm. I dont see what more a vet can do other than recommend what ur already doing. Good luck, keep us posted!
No, they were at 85 degrees in the box and did not chill till getting out. And they are all large except for the dwarf cherryhead male. No signs of entry anywhere on outside of box. Door was pushed out from inside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I hope that your torts will all be O.K. It doesn't usually get super cold here in So. Florida, however, my R/F torts also come out of their heated doghouse and wander around when its 60s and 50s outside. Is it just a redfoot thing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you train?

I train everything. Its my job and my hobby. PSA was my sport of choice. Much more realistic and practical than Schutzhund or Ring, but I've dabbled in both of those too. I train everything from testing and starting puppies to basic OB, to personal protection and problem solving. My niche in the entertainment industry is simulated aggression/attack work. Great fun. Did you see "Django Unchained"? That was my Dutch, my mal, and my mal's younger brother. My older mal's son just did a bit that is airing in the commercials for "Dumb and Dumber To".

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
Tom, I did see that movie. Good job on training. I did those discerning because I was a member of all 3 rottweiler clubs and showed in the AKC. Breed ring and Obed ring. I also bred and trained filas. And dobies. Got me recognician.