Fridge Hibernation For A Spur-thighed Tortoise

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Good afternoon everyone!

The vet has recommended fridge hibernation for Jacky my 87 year old Spur-thighed Tortoise. I have never hibernated her in this way before and whilst I given information on how to do this. I would be most be grateful if someone could please post some pictures of tortoises hibernating in fridges and fridge recommendations.

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good afternoon everyone!

The vet has recommended fridge hibernation for Jacky my 87 year old Spur-thighed Tortoise. I have never hibernated her in this way before and whilst I given information on how to do this. I would be most be grateful if someone could please post some pictures of tortoises hibernating in fridges and fridge recommendations.

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk
Read through this:

MaNaAk

Southend
Read through this:
Thankyou Tom.

I'm going to keep coming back to read this.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Read through this:
Dear @Tom,

I've just read your thread again and I was wondering if you could please recommend a small fridge at all because I live in a flat with an undercounted fridge and also would I need a probe for the temperature.

Thankyou very much

Natrah

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look up 'wine cooler.'

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thankyou Yvonne I will do. I did Google Fridges For Tortoises and a good one came up with a window but I want to do more searching.

Natrah
I have purchased a couple of wine fridges for diapausing tortoise eggs, and have found them to be unreliable. They also don't get cold enough for brumation. The coldest one stayed right around 50-55F (10-13C) at its coldest setting, which is just a little too warm.

I also don't like a clear door. I think the light and the movement disturbs them. Their wild hibernacula would be dark the whole time.

Any fridge should work, but you will need to check the temperatures thoroughly for consistency before putting a tortoise into it. Use digital thermometers that record the highs and lows so that you can see what it is doing at its extremes. Also remember to stuff the fridge with as much food and drink as you can, as this will help the fridge maintain a consistent temperature. I stuff mine with water bottles and beer.

MaNaAk

Southend
I have purchased a couple of wine fridges for diapausing tortoise eggs, and have found them to be unreliable. They also don't get cold enough for brumation. The coldest one stayed right around 50-55F (10-13C) at its coldest setting, which is just a little too warm.

I also don't like a clear door. I think the light and the movement disturbs them. Their wild hibernacula would be dark the whole time.

Any fridge should work, but you will need to check the temperatures thoroughly for consistency before putting a tortoise into it. Use digital thermometers that record the highs and lows so that you can see what it is doing at its extremes. Also remember to stuff the fridge with as much food and drink as you can, as this will help the fridge maintain a consistent temperature. I stuff mine with water bottles and beer.
Dear @Tom,

I see what you mean about a clear door so that case maybe I should trade my undercounter freezer for a fridgefreezer or just another small fridge on top of my current one.

MaNaAk