Front leg twitching

Roddytort121

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire UK
my five year old Horsefield (Roderick) does this funny thing with his front legs twitching them up and down when he's epbeing still, also he head twitches in and out now and again. Seems happy enough, is this normal lol thanks

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Every now and then my babies surprise me with some new behaviors, never seen before. Being a new tort grandma I always get little concerned at first and start reviewing the overall picture: did one of their heat/light bulbs go out? Is it too dry or too wet in there, too hot/cold? Any other changes in the environment? Are they eating/peeing/pooping/sleeping/walking and everything else as they have always done? Or are there any changes there? My babies are growing and not even a year old yet so they are expected to be changing as they reach their developmental milestones. Much luke himan babies do. I'd think that if your tort is just 5 yrs old, and all the other "checks" are negative and this behavior is the only new one, perhaps this is his way of sending signals that he/she is ready to mate? Again, I'd go through the list of checks to rule out any environmental or health problem first

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the legs twitching up and down is breathing. they don't have diaphragms like mammals do so they often pump their arms like little bellows 2 help them breathe. perfectly normal. as for the head twitching that could be any number of things when exactly does the head twitch?

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
He's lively to say the least, he has periods of pacing the table, but this behaviour is usually while he's basking. Perhaps I've inherited a tortoise with a tick lol. Or just starting to get frisky! His head doesn't so much Bob, it's a gentle jut, very slight.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Twitching seizure-style is bad. Huffing and puffing to help breathe is normal.

greekland

What does head twitching mean. My turtle has twitched its head at me when i try to pet him.