frustrated about sulcata needing to be rescued...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I am still hoping the original owner shows up. I can not believe the gall of some folks. You find an animal, then immediately try to sell it before even looking for it's owners? Reminds me a bit of the article where the people stole the neighbor's puppy to sell. I hope this works out for the best for the tortoise. Keep us posted. ... and I would cross my fingers, but then it is so hard for me to type. Does crossing one's eyes work for luck?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think crossing eyes does work. However, what are we going to be reading from you then, I can't even imagine:p:D LOL

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
I think crossing eyes does work. However, what are we going to be reading from you then, I can't even imagine:p:D LOL

I am sure some may think it is an improvement. :cool:

bogart20

5 Year Member
If it where me I'd just go steal it frm him because its not his, it's gonna die If it doesn't get help.
That's just me he's shady and is gonna kill it. Liberate it frm his care and care for it yourself/ maybe find owners if possible.
But that guy deserves no money and maybe a foot in the teeth frm what it sounds like

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
shellysmom said:
It would be great to just have it removed by animal control, but that really depends on how good AC officers are in the area. A lot of times they don't want to deal with species that aren't dogs or cats, so they just tell the owner to take better care and give them up to 30 days to comply, which would be far too long for this guy. It's very rare for AC to just swoop in and seize an animal immediately. Normally a warrant is required, and they can be hard to get in this type of situation. Although, if you inform animal control when you call, that you would be able to care for the animal, they might be able to convince the guy to relinquish it on the grounds that it needs vet care.

I've seen cases on Animal Cops where they're allowed to seize animals immediately if the conditions are bad enough and it's in immediate danger. But as you say if it's something like a tortoise they may not know what to do or care.

I would at least notify them and see what they say. It's better than nothing if he won't give it up.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
Animal control would take it to the shelter here and now they have my contact info so any torts they get they will be sending my way to foster. I found the owner today! I went with her to pick him up. His name is Trucker and she's had him since he was a hatchling. This is his second jailbreak so I went over her enclosure with her and think we have it escape proof now by adding cinder block rebar and gravel in the blocks. Last time he wound up at the shelter and was adopted out the next day. She had to go out of town and pay the guy the adoption fee to get him back. He's home and happy now and I have made a new friend so it all worked out. Just wondering what I may have gotten myself into by offering to foster for the shelter... there may be more torts in my future lol! Thanks for all the support! I must say again this site is AWESOME!

And I think someone had already given the guy a "foot in the teeth" lol! He only had a few broken ones left! I'm just glad I didn't have to "liberate" Trucker... i'm not sure I could have hoisted him over the fence! ;)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
HOORAY!!! WOW- that was really great of you to work so hard and get him back where he belongs!!! :)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!! This is the PERFECT ending: Tort removed from bad situation and reunited with loving mom, Camirda on file w/ AC as a future tort foster, and the bad guy is minus one tort and some teeth. WOO HOO!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

How did you connect with the owner?

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
I called all the vets in town and the shelter and left my contact info yesterday. She called the shelter today and got in touch with me. We had decided if it wasn't hers she would still claim it for me but once i saw the pic she sent me there was no doubt the underbite tort was hers!

Status
Not open for further replies.