Fun things to do

Herbert Forever

My Herbert just loves climbing his hut (his hut is a cut out log) and loves climbing mounds of dirt and stones and of course he loves exploring. I know that when I'm gone during the day he gets immensely bored from climbing, digging, and sleeping. Is there anything fun I can put in his day enclosure for him to do, and is there anything fun we can do together?

Side note- he is absolutely terrified of balls that he can play with.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Thanks for starting this thread. I would love some similar tips! :)

I think adding some small potted plants to my indoor enclosure was one suggestion I got. Every time the plants are eaten down, you can swap them out for newer plants. I still haven't added any because he has such a massive garden outside for the summer.

Herbert Forever

Yeah I have such a hard time finding tips! My problem with adding plants is that he'll do nothing but eat all day.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't think you need worry about overeating.
That's pretty much all that they do do when not sleeping or digging.
Even the walking about or climbing is often to find more food and check their territory.
As long as they exercise and have a good balanced diet, they don't get fat.
Cuttle fish bones and of course a soaking dish can help give them something to do, but other than what you already have mentioned, somewhere to climb and some plants, I can't think what else could entertain a tort.
Except access to Tortoise Forum, of course.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
My Russian can be outside for an entire summer day, like today, in his "jungle" of tortoise treats, but sometimes it seems he's just sitting in the same spot all day, neither eating or digging. At night, I will bring him inside to his indoor enclosure, and then he'll start running in circles like crazy. If he spends most of the day out there hiding, does that mean he's scared or stressed? He is completely protected by chicken wire though. Here's our 96 sq. ft. outdoor enclosure garden:

IMG_5494.jpg

Here he is now, just sitting under his Spiraea for shade:

IMG_5495.jpg

Is this normal? Maybe he is too hot outside? It is 81 degrees F here in Michigan with 57% humidity.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Maybe the sun, he may need more hides and high shade.
Also he doesn't know he's protected by chicken wire, he just sees wide open spaces, so yes , maybe stress.
More hides, as I say, and overhead cover as well as sight barriers may help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort loves walking through his tunnel. It is a cat play tunnel but is big enough for him to turn around or he would get stuck!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Maybe the sun, he may need more hides and high shade. Also he doesn't know he's protected by chicken wire, he just sees wide open spaces, so yes, maybe stress. More hides, as I say, and overhead cover as well as sight barriers may help.
Awesome, thanks so much! What do you think would make for some suitable materials? I was thinking of some gravel on the ground for him since the species is from a terrestrial terrain. Maybe I can make him some tunnels with rock?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Awesome, thanks so much! What do you think would make for some suitable materials? I was thinking of some gravel on the ground for him since the species is from a terrestrial terrain. Maybe I can make him some tunnels with rock?
He may eat small stones and you would have to be careful the rocks were completely tort proof and would n't collapse in on him. My tunnel is just a pop up nylon tube that only cost about £3 in the UK - just make sure diameter is big enough to turn and not get stuck in with the heat you have.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He may eat small stones and you would have to be careful the rocks were completely tort proof and would n't collapse in on him. My tunnel is just a pop up nylon tube that only cost about £3 in the UK - just make sure diameter is big enough to turn and not get stuck in with the heat you have.
Great! :) I don't think he would ever try eating a rock, but I was going to make sure they weren't too small anyway. I like the nylon tube idea but I doubt that would last very long outdoors here in Michigan. It may also get hot inside of it under the sun.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lyn's tunnel idea's great, maybe a concrete pipe or just some bigger plant pots dug in or half sunken to make caves but also just boards around the bottom edge of the enclosure and in the middle that he can walk around, and overhanging bushes and trees to give high shade and a sense of security.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Great! :) I don't think he would ever try eating a rock, but I was going to make sure they weren't too small anyway. I like the nylon tube idea but I doubt that would last very long outdoors here in Michigan. It may also get hot inside of it under the sun.
Yes it may do - that much heat isn't a problem in the UK!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yes it may do - that much heat isn't a problem in the UK!
You're lucky! I can't stand the humidity here. I love the summer only for my tortoise!! Now he is pacing around and eating some lettuce. Crazy Russians...

I did plant a lot of perennials this year (some are Michigan natives) in the hope that they'll grow larger, survive the winter, and provide lots of shade. His Hibiscus moscheutos is really coming along and finally about to bloom! The flowers should be the size of saucers! ;D Next year I may even spend a bit more for a "rose tree," which I think would provide a lot of great shade for him (and if it rains flowers, he'll think he's died and gone to heaven). XD

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You're lucky! I can't stand the humidity here. I love the summer only for my tortoise!! Now he is pacing around and eating some lettuce. Crazy Russians...

I did plant a lot of perennials this year (some are Michigan natives) in the hope that they'll grow larger, survive the winter, and provide lots of shade. His Hibiscus moscheutos is really coming along and finally about to bloom! The flowers should be the size of saucers! ;D Next year I may even spend a bit more for a "rose tree," which I think would provide a lot of great shade for him (and if it rains flowers, he'll think he's died and gone to heaven). XD
Good plan.
Rose tree: high shade, protection, sight barrier and treats!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Don't think you need worry about overeating.
That's pretty much all that they do do when not sleeping or digging.
Even the walking about or climbing is often to find more food and check their territory.
As long as they exercise and have a good balanced diet, they don't get fat.
Cuttle fish bones and of course a soaking dish can help give them something to do, but other than what you already have mentioned, somewhere to climb and some plants, I can't think what else could entertain a tort.
Except access to Tortoise Forum, of course.
Hehe
You said "do do" :p

Herbert Forever

My tort loves walking through his tunnel. It is a cat play tunnel but is big enough for him to turn around or he would get stuck!
Oh I never thought about that! He loves exploring little places like that, thank you!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Russians seem to like a climbing challenge. I would build a steep tunnel that leads to a raised hillside. Make it almost vertical and about twice as tall as he is long. Use a rough texture wood or put some grip blocks for him to use. It should be wide enough so when he stretches out his legs he can touch the sides and the other dimension should be about 1" more than the height of his shell. Allow some growing room if your tort is young. For emergency purposes build it so you can pull it out and open it should you need.

Good luck!