G.P.B or G.P.P.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
You made this statment "The South Africans get larger than the babcocks. Is this arguable? How could anyone not think this?"
And my answer is yes it is arguable and lots, if not all of those with knowledge on the topic will agree that the largest African Leopard tortoise is a babcocki. Ive discussed this topic with many in the Leopard community and your the only one that disputes this and your the only one that views them as some sort of Mytholigical Creature. Also your statement implies that only p.pardalis range South Africa and that is also not true. There are babcocki in South Africa as well.

Furthermore, I woud say that your description of what defines a p.pardalis is also not completely accurate and its more a description of certain clades of Leopards ranging in South Africa wich can be classified as p.pardalis, but whos traits are more localized and are not an accurate description of the sub-species as a whole. Not to say that this particular clade doesnt warrant its own sub.sp., its just that in out discussion its easier to go with the existing Genbank data as I tend to think that the hobby is largely driven by such.

So whats my point? My point is that gpp come in all shapes and sizes and there are no clear cut rules that define the sub.sp. Although, there can be an argument as to what defines certain clades such as 1 dot 2 dot, size, etc. That the use of generalizations is not what the members of TFO come here to read and if your going to make generalizations be prepared for others to shoot them down. The fact is g.p.b is the largest Sub-Saharan Leopard tortoise in Africa and that includes the South of Africa as well.

Well put Neal, I agree 100% and the generalization that gpp are more outgoing and personable just isnt true.

Neal said:
TortieLuver said:
Honestly, I would like to know peoples' opinion on personality of pp and pb. I have heard from people that PP is less shy and has much more personality than the pb. I have never owned a 100% pp so I am curious. I have also heard on the other hand that it's not so much the subspecies, but every Leopard can be different in personality. I know with my Leopards (pb) that some are less shy than others. I have heard that some pp's resemble the Sulcata and will come to you when you are outside, etc. Any opinions on personality of subspecies...that is if you believe that Leopards have a subspecies?

My experience in what I consider personality in a tortoise is that it is unique to the tortoise, not generalized by tortoise species or sub species. Sulcatas are often said to have the highest personalities of all tortoises, but I've seen shy ones that hide in a corner all day. I have babcock's that will come up to me and bite my toes until I feed them, I consider that a lot of personality.

Personality in tortoises is highly subjective, you'll get a lot of opinions, and they should be regarded as just that, opinions, and not as common occurance or fact...I have a lot of gpp and gpb in both types I see that some are shy, some are mediocure, and some are over the top in what I consider personality.

Let me clarify my above statement so there is no confusion because after reading it I dont want it to be misundrstood. I stated that "The fact is g.p.b is the largest Sub-Saharan Leopard tortoise in Africa and that includes the South of Africa as well". The fact is true, its just that there seems to be some confusion on what classifies both sub.sp. I can see where Tom might make the generalization that gpp are the larger of the sub.sp. I could make the same argument for babcocki if I believed that the Ethiopian clade of g.p.b were the only g.p.b and that isnt true. Gpb come in all different sizes, shapes and colors as it stands. The same goes for gpp and I think the confusion is that some believe that the only gpp are the ones that are similar to the ones found in the hobby and that isnt the case. The fact is, like babcocki, pardalis also differ in size, shape and locality its just that some would have us believe that the only 100% true gpp meet the criteria set forth by the hobby (hatchlings have 2 dots on the vertebrals, they reach over 50lbs, have a flatter carapace, are more cold tollerant and are more outgoing) all of which isnt true.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-G-P-B-or-G-P-P?page=2#ixzz1DpGKImKp

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
In any case I'm hoping to get some of both, and hopefully some that fit neither distinction. I'll get back to you in 20 years on which I prefer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Paul, Several people have PM'd asking me what your deal is and what you are talking about. I had no idea WTH you were going on about either until a friend sent me this:
http://www.iucn-tftsg.org/wp-content/uploads/file/Articles/Fritz_etal_2010a.pdf

Okay, now I get it. You are talking about technicalities. Some scientists did a study on wild tortoises in the wild in Africa, formed an opinion and wrote a paper. Now everything that everyone has always personally observed and known to be true for 20 some odd years is all wrong. Come on, man. Seriously?

Yes, technically, according to the scientists that wrote the above paper my opinions regarding the two subspecies of leopards are no longer valid. How does that matter in the real world? It doesn't. If you buy a "babcock" and a "pp" from anyone, anywhere in the United States of America in the year 2011 (or earlier), the things that I opined will be true. If any of us go to Africa pick up a tortoise out of the bush and ask a scientist, the answer might be different. HERE, NOW, IN THIS COUNTRY, there are only two easily distinguishable sub-species available for people to purchase. And the one we call pardalis pardalis gets bigger, is more hardy and cold tolerant and is GENERALLY more personable.

You know, my TWO most shy, reclusive, uninterested tortoises are both sulcatas. Do you want me to start telling people that sulcatas are not very outgoing or personable because of those two individuals? Of course they all have individual personalities, but GENERALLY, sulcatas are pretty outgoing and curious. Will we have to debate that now too? We all live by generalities. Its a fact of life. You can fight it all you like, but people like "the guy in Valencia", understand what they are going to get when they order up a leopard tortoise from a breeder, in this day and age, in this country. What exists in the African bush in some scientists opinion really has no effect on what I can hold in my hand here at home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
coreyc said:
I can not open the link to read it

Sorry Corey. I'm pretty computer ignorant. It opens fine in the thread for me. Technical help out there? Please.

I can try to email it to you...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Balboa said:
In any case I'm hoping to get some of both, and hopefully some that fit neither distinction. I'll get back to you in 20 years on which I prefer.

I have some fresh Geochelone Pardalis Nealiosis for ya's!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Balboa said:

That's the beauty of this whole thing. Since they basically live forever, we've got our whole lives to figure this out!:D

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Ha, Nice response! Isnt that what we are here for. To answer questions and to share ideas. Bye the way, it was nice chatting with you on the phone just a minute ago, I actually forgot that we have much in common when it comes to this species and our ideas regarding regional differences and husbandry...back to the debate! Now wait a minute Tom, not everything everyone has observed over the last 20 years has been "suddenly" all wrong, some have been playing with these ideas for some time. Ive always looked at my group of adults and thought there were huge differences between them even in the so called sub.sp. and now I'm convinced I'm breeding mutts and so is everyone else. Not inbetween sub.sp. per say, but between regions. Here is where we continue to differ. I dont think that your two ideas of the subspecies are invalid, actually, quite the opposite. I think there is enough evidence to validate both sub.sp and maybe 3-4 more. I just think that the limitations that you put on the sub.sp pardalis isnt valid and your description of the sub.sp is more a reflection of a regional group of tortoises within that same sub.sp., and doesnt speak for the sub.sp as a whole. But, we now have that link that you posted, something Ive read no less than 8 times over the past couple of weeks, that recommends all sub sp within pardalis should be abandoned. So... where do we go from here?... Untill more work is done on the subject I think we default back to what we all know. Having said that, we entereded this discussion because I answered a question on this thread, which belongs to Neal (sorry Neal) about what is the larger leopard tortoise. A question I answered correctly. I too have received PM's. Some asking me "what?" and some in support, but one that was like "who are you". And I can answer that simply... I'm nobody... just a simple minded, half illiterate, passionate tortoise keeper... And no Tom, I'm not going to debate sulcatas with you. I dont get into debates where my defeat is almost certain before it begins.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Neal said:
Balboa said:

I have some fresh Geochelone Pardalis Nealiosis for ya's!

I'm looking forward to those Nealiosis, I bet they're going to be the cream of the Leopard crop :)

but when I get my hands on the Balboackis all bets are off, those will be the best leopards fer sure.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Neal said:
004.jpg

Wow, Neal! Biggest, speckliest, prettiest, funniest.... I don't really care. Just please enter this pic in the calendar contest next year. Or maybe email me a full size copy of it so I can make a pic for my classroom. This little charmer deserves to be seen!

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Hi experts, can share if the below is a GPB or a GPP? Is the color normal to be so light?
Thanks.
photo-4.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
TortBrain said:
Hi experts, can share if the below is a GPB or a GPP? Is the color normal to be so light?
Thanks.
photo-4.jpg

You have a nice looking GPB :) It is nice and smooth :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As an outsider, it looks to me as if you are both calling the kettle black.

Tom stated his opinion and Paul said Tom's opinion is wrong and he stated HIS opinion.

I don't see any so called facts coming from either side. Where is the "fact" that Babcocki is larger? Where is the FACT that Pardalis is larger? Neither one of you has shown us any died in the wool, true facts.

"fact" - something that actually exists; reality; truth

Where is either one of your documentation or science to prove either opinion?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like a babcocki to me too, BUT there are lots of "hybrids" floating around out there. In the past lots of people just put any leopard with any other leopard. Same story with all the redfoot varieties, unfortunately.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yvonne, dont know if the link Tom posted a while back on this thread is any help with your observation, but if its not, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

emysemys said:
As an outsider, it looks to me as if you are both calling the kettle black.

Tom stated his opinion and Paul said Tom's opinion is wrong and he stated HIS opinion.

I don't see any so called facts coming from either side. Where is the "fact" that Babcocki is larger? Where is the FACT that Pardalis is larger? Neither one of you has shown us any died in the wool, true facts.

"fact" - something that actually exists; reality; truth

Where is either one of your documentation or science to prove either opinion?

Tortbrain, looks gpb to me, but like Tom said there are lots of hybrids about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
coreyc said:
I can not open the link to read it

Its a PDF file and they take longer to open. At least on my computer they do.

WrongFoot

10 Year Member!
Pleasant Hill, CA
Newbie's practical talk says : is there any way to differentiate the two sub species hatchling?
Someone says that the gpp has two dots on its scrape, but because of many gp hybrids, can we still differentiate them easily?

I notice from the pictures that gpp has black dots on their skin, is this viable when they are hatchling?

sub species are sub-species, does that mean that human race are actually sub-species, hahahaha, no offense

TortBrain

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
TortBrain said:
Thanks.
photo-4.jpg

You have a nice looking GPB :) It is nice and smooth :tort:

Sad to say, it's not mine:tort:
Saw this Leo up for grabs and seller stated: white leopard rare item.
Indeed, it looks lighter in color compared to mine thou. Looks pretty.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I don't have much to add to the debate, I haven't been to Africa and seen them in their natural habitat. I've seen pictures of some big, beautiful torts with the caption stating they're huge gpb's from Ethiopia (and a man in 70's looking attire), however until I see the actual animals in their native habitat, I will reserve judgment ( since I was told once that not everything on the internet is true). Until someone gets enough funding to spend several months or even years traveling the continent and systematically describing the subspecies which may or may not be out there (and if I win the lottery I will send some people over to sort it all out), we will just have to make do with what we have in captivity.

I will say that I definitely see some morphological differences between my babies, whether or not they are extensive enough to constitute separate subspecies remains to be seen, although considering the tiny variations in Galapagos finches that define subspecies my gut instinct would be yes. Personality variations however seem to be down to the individual tort, Gunny is a supposedly outgoing gpp, but he hides in his shell (and occasionally pees on my hand) when I pick him up, Octavia however couldn't care less.

Neal your Babcocks are really striking with all that black! Are they from very dark parents? Chris is really jealous, he loves the black on them and I think he's a bit sad that Mr.T is showing so much blond right now.

-Devon

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Huh........

Badgemash said:
I don't have much to add to the debate, I haven't been to Africa and seen them in their natural habitat. I've seen pictures of some big, beautiful torts with the caption stating they're huge gpb's from Ethiopia (and a man in 70's looking attire), however until I see the actual animals in their native habitat, I will reserve judgment

-Devon

Status
Not open for further replies.