Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Very nice, Blake. I don't usually start my garden until fall, then I plant lettuces and greens that are ok with frost.
Thanks. I haven't planted much of a fall garden before, but I'll try it this year. I believe we have the same type of climate so I'm sure it would do well.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
That looks lovely. It must be nice to have some shade in your garden as well. I'm constantly making sure any new plants are full or part-sun!
They definitely get sun for six to eight hours (some parts more) during the day. It's definitely a learning experience with this area of my yard.

Looking forward to seeing others post their vegetables soon :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
They definitely get sun for six to eight hours (some parts more) during the day. It's definitely a learning experience with this area of my yard.

Looking forward to seeing others post their vegetables soon :)
Our cherries are turning more red. They should look nice from our recent rain -- I'll take a photo when I get home. ;) Perfect tortoise weather outside today.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The first of this year's veggies! We started then a little early. First picture, Cherokee purple heirloom, second is pole beans, and the third is some of my squash/zucchini harvest.

The flowers are a work in progress. I'm very impressed with the variety you guys have!
Omg! Love that tomato!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This cactus garden is planted in front of the old vacant house on my property (I wouldn't want you to think that's where I live :eek: ).

cactus 6-20-16 a.jpg cactus 6-20-16 b.jpg

And this is a "dinner plate" aeonium that I bought because I like the way it lays flat, however I can't get mine to lay flat:
cactus 6-20-16 c.jpg

I think this one is Aeonium arborium, whatever...it's one of my favorites. I think it's pretty common but for some reason it has captured me. I just love this plant:

cactus 6-20-16 d.jpg

I have already made about 6 cuttings of it. I love the way it grows.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to post about the vinegar treatment of the sedge. The vinegar/salt solution kills the greenery quite nicely, but it doesn't kill the roots. In this picture you can see that the sedge has about 6" of new growth since the treatment, and there are a few new clover leaves popping up too:

vinegar spray 6-20-16 a.jpg vinegar spray 6-20-16 b.jpg

Good thing vinegar and salt aren't too expensive, however, with so many applications required to finally kill the plants, the price tag might work its way up to match the price of Round-Up.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
This cactus garden is planted in front of the old vacant house on my property (I wouldn't want you to think that's where I live :eek: ).
Very nice! No judgments here. ;) Love the cactus.
Our cherries are turning more red. They should look nice from our recent rain -- I'll take a photo when I get home. ;) Perfect tortoise weather outside today.
Hubby ate most of the cherries now so these are mostly gone now! :D He said they were delicious and tart.

cherry.jpg cherry1.jpg
Rabbits got to our plants again and chewed off a few branches. Sigh.

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

And here's one part of my garden!
Your veg and garden are looking sooooo good!

I laughed a bit at your comment about the veg gardens. I'm ignoring my flowers this year and focusing on food. I haven't posted any photos because I felt like my block of broccoli was a little lack-luster!:D

Prairie Mom

I was told these were all hibiscus? Can anyone help me out? ;D http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Are-all-of-these-HIBISCUS?.142761/
I think the comments in your thread look right to me. There are starting to be a lot of Hibiscus hybrids that can be really different depending on how cold hardy they are. The ones I've seen so far all still seem to be mainly in the mallow family which keeps them as being good tortoise food. You can always google any scientific names on the tags if you're worried, but I really think you have lots of good food there:)

Prairie Mom

Very nice! No judgments here. ;) Love the cactus.

Hubby ate most of the cherries now so these are mostly gone now! :D He said they were delicious and tart.

View attachment 177868 View attachment 177869
Rabbits got to our plants again and chewed off a few branches. Sigh.
I don't know much about cherries, but am impressed it's baring fruit when it's so small!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

View attachment 177727 View attachment 177728

And this is a "dinner plate" aeonium that I bought because I like the way it lays flat, however I can't get mine to lay flat:
View attachment 177729

I think this one is Aeonium arborium, whatever...it's one of my favorites. I think it's pretty common but for some reason it has captured me. I just love this plant:

View attachment 177730

I have already made about 6 cuttings of it. I love the way it grows.
I have to get caught up on this thread but what are those tall cacti? Love those flowers!!!! Gorgeous. One of my former neighbors in Florida had one if those in his front yard and it'd be just covered with those stunning white flowers! I'd make a detour on my way to work in am to catch a glimpse of that thing. Man, I just love plants and adore flowers! It's crazy how by just looking at them brings me so much joy. Yvonne your plants are beautiful

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The opuntia sets fruit every year. I've tasted it and it's very sweet. It also stains everything it comes into contact with!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Love those cactus shots! My opitunia cactus is only 4 years old (this November) so I guess that's why it has never grown the flowers or fruit