Help me identify please

zovick

10 Year Member!
I found her 3 years ago by a lake. The reason I rescued her was one mostly because she was by the lake with no chance of survival if she fell in and two because the lake was by a very busy intersection. Constant back and forth cars. I knew she was a tortoise and had no business being there. I still have yet to figure out what specific species she is to be able to fully care for her. It has been three years and she’s alive and well I need your help. Thank you.
Your tortoise is definitely a Gopher Tortoise. I'm not sure if FL gives permits to allow private people to keep them the way CA does with its Desert Tortoises or not.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's a Gopher.
Its protected.
I do not interfere with them other than to get them out of the street or get them unstuck from whatever dire situation they get into.
I recommend getting a Redfoot tortoise as a great Florida pet tortoise. And releasing this tort back from where he came from.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It's a Gopher.
Its protected.
I do not interfere with them other than to get them out of the street or get them unstuck from whatever dire situation they get into.
I recommend getting a Redfoot tortoise as a great Florida pet tortoise. And releasing this tort back from where he came from.
Would that not be a potential death sentence after three years raised in captivity or?

thereal._yani

FL
It's a Gopher.
Its protected.
If I release her do you think she has chances of surviving? I’ve had her for 3 years

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh also op if you do want to think about a possible future red foot, come back to the forum for advice on how to set up, I wouldn’t use what you currently have.
Also whilst this guy is still in your care, they need humidity raising to 80🙂

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
If I release her do you think she has chances of surviving? I’ve had her for 3 years
Tortoises are pretty good at surviving in the wild. Pets go missing for years and can return.

However, sometimes they may carry pathogens that are safe/harmless in captivity, but can be detrimental to a wild population when they interact with others.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Tortoises are pretty good at surviving in the wild. Pets go missing for years and can return.

However, sometimes they may carry pathogens that are safe/harmless in captivity, but can be detrimental to a wild population when they interact with others.
Yeah that second point is concerning in this case then, is it wise to return them?

I understand why it’s not a good idea for op to have them anymore, idk how they’d go about finding vet care in an emergency without getting in more trouble.

But perhaps a rescue service is needed here? One where tests can be ran and a soft release can happen🙂

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
NO! Don't release her. Besides carrying disease to the wild population, she doesn't know how to fend for herself. Find a tortoise rescue to turn her in to.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Be sure to explain that your intention was saving her (just like you did here) and had no idea what species she is.

I'd also research if its possible for you to get permission to keep her.

You did a good deed. You had no intention of harm. BUT - still might be in trouble, so get everything on the up-and-up NOW.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Could you possibly make a new thread answering these questions🙂
Refer back to your other new thread for all further advice if you can to keep it simpler, not sure if maybe you posted this one by mistake, it’s ok though you’re new lol perhaps someone can ID on this thread though🙂
Guys I made a whoops on this nice new members thread today and it was brought to my attention!😬
I’d some how got my wires crossed thinking her original post was on someone else’s thread, hence asking for a new one which was rude of me😣
Then my second response was because I thought I’d seen a duplicate of her thread in the new posts section, I’m not sure if that was a glitch or if again, I got confused😅so I was referring to what I thought was the original to the duplicate here🥲silly me.. I probably shouldn’t have asked so many following questions before this poor person even knew what species we were looking at😬

I’ve messaged this nice person to apologise and I’m glad I luckily don’t seem to have put off a potential wonderful new member here!🥰
Don’t be like me guys haha😂

Glad you seem to have got all the information you need and I hope this situation all works out!❤️

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Guys I made a whoops on this nice new members thread today and it was brought to my attention!😬
I’d some how got my wires crossed thinking her original post was on someone else’s thread, hence asking for a new one which was rude of me😣
Then my second response was because I thought I’d seen a duplicate of her thread in the new posts section, I’m not sure if that was a glitch or if again, I got confused😅so I was referring to what I thought was the original to the duplicate here🥲silly me.. I probably shouldn’t have asked so many following questions before this poor person even knew what species we were looking at😬

I’ve messaged this nice person to apologise and I’m glad I luckily don’t seem to have put off a potential wonderful new member here!🥰
Don’t be like me guys haha😂

Glad you seem to have got all the information you need and I hope this situation all works out!❤️
There were duplicate post of the OP but I think they were all in this same thread. I deleted the duplicates. That might be what confused you.