Help me take care of my rescue please!

Geist3047

Location (City and/or State)
Kingman
Hello from Kingman, AZ. So long story short, someone dumped this little lady (fairly sure it's a lady amyhow) on my friend, told her it was a sulcata and vanished.

My friend is 100% an animal lover and often winds up overwhelmed. She's had this tortoise for almost 3 years and it hasn't grown at all really. But when it started to show pyramid8ng and she was going on vacation I agreed to watch her menagerie. I asked if she'd like me to lighten the load and take her into my home (I have a nice big yard when she's ready)

I don't think she's a sulcata, I'm thinking maybe a sonoran, but I am not willing to risk her health by guessing and providing improper care.

She's currently in a 20 gallon long tank with her uvb/heat lamp. ( I adjust the settings throughout the day so she doesn't get uncomfortable with my ac going) She eats her grass pellets mixed with a calcium treat, some veggies, and nice fresh water. I have no intention of keeping her there long term I just need to observe her for any signs of illness for a little bit.

It's a week since I've had her and that brings me to my request.

Can someone help me identify her? If I'm going to build/buy a proper enclosure for her, it might help a little if I know what she needs.

Thank you for your time and attention on the matter. Means a lot to me and Cecilia!
1000024710.jpg1000024711.jpg1000024712.jpg1000024713.jpg
1000024709.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello from Kingman, AZ. So long story short, someone dumped this little lady (fairly sure it's a lady amyhow) on my friend, told her it was a sulcata and vanished.

My friend is 100% an animal lover and often winds up overwhelmed. She's had this tortoise for almost 3 years and it hasn't grown at all really. But when it started to show pyramid8ng and she was going on vacation I agreed to watch her menagerie. I asked if she'd like me to lighten the load and take her into my home (I have a nice big yard when she's ready)

I don't think she's a sulcata, I'm thinking maybe a sonoran, but I am not willing to risk her health by guessing and providing improper care.

She's currently in a 20 gallon long tank with her uvb/heat lamp. ( I adjust the settings throughout the day so she doesn't get uncomfortable with my ac going) She eats her grass pellets mixed with a calcium treat, some veggies, and nice fresh water. I have no intention of keeping her there long term I just need to observe her for any signs of illness for a little bit.

Can someone help me identify her? If I'm going to build/buy a proper enclosure for her, it might help a little if I know what she needs.

Thank you for your time and attention on the matter. Means a lot to me and Cecilia!
View attachment 372685View attachment 372686View attachment 372687View attachment 372688
View attachment 372684
Your tortoise is most definitely a sulcata. Desert Tortoises have nuchal scutes (the one in the center, right above the neck) and sulcatas do not. This tortoise has no nuchal scute, hence is not a Desert Tortoise

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

View attachment 372685View attachment 372686View attachment 372687View attachment 372688
View attachment 372684
I agree. Definitely a sulcata. Most of the care info online, in books, from vets, pet stores and even breeders is all wrong. Here is the correct care info. Questions are welcome.

Geist3047

Kingman
Your tortoise is most definitely a sulcata. Desert Tortoises have nuchal scutes (the one in the center, right above the neck) and sulcatas do not. This tortoise has no nuchal scute, hence is not a Desert Tortoise
Is it normal for them to not grow for years? I thought they got bigger pretty quickly.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
If you follow the care information Tom posted, your tortoise will grow and be healthy. Welcome to the forum. Please ask questions before you buy items, if you want.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and thank you for taking in your sulcata. I am going to guess it's a female. But that is only a guess.
I am sure you will give your sully a great home.
Follow the instructions Tom sent you and ask questions.

Geist3047

Kingman
Welcome and thank you for taking in your sulcata. I am going to guess it's a female. But that is only a guess.
I am sure you will give your sully a great home.
Follow the instructions Tom sent you and ask questions.
Any advice to help her gain weight. She is way too skinny. I measured her at 8" long but she's only 680 grams. I have parasite meds coming (going to dose her just to make sure that's not an issue) but any advice would be welcome. I am afraid to let her brumate if she doesn't put on weight. (She's my first tortoise but not my first reptile)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Sulcata don’t brumate and they cannot live in a tank (no tortoise should). Please read the care sheet provided, it sounds like they have had pretty awful care until now…

Geist3047

Kingman
Sulcata don’t brumate and they cannot live in a tank (no tortoise should). Please read the care sheet provided, it sounds like they have had pretty awful care until now…
I'm not going to keep her in it. I just want to observe her the first two weeks since I don't know her habits. She gets plenty of outside the tabk time and won't be a permanent resident there. Don't worry 😉

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have parasite meds coming (going to dose her just to make sure that's not an issue)
I would not do that. If you think she needs to be wormed, you need to run a fecal, see what type, if any, of worm you are dealing with, how numerous they are, and then and only then, should a vet prescribe the correct wormer for that parasitic worm in the correct dose. Worm killing medicine is poison. No need to do that unless it is confirmed necessary. Its not good to do that as a preventative.

This tortoise is undersized because it has been housed, fed and cared for incorrectly. Feed it, care for it, and house it correctly, and the problem will solve itself in time.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Do you have a good vet that has the knowledge about sulcata's?
You can just bring in the fecal matter to have it checked. Like Tom said the medicine is poison. There are different meds to treat different worms or parasites. If you take your sully to the vet. Don't let the vet give your tort a shot. Also like Tom said, with the proper care. Your sulcata will grow like a weed.
Find a feed and seed store or order some Mazuri online. It is a dry pellet type food with some of the proper vitamins and nutrition. Get the 5M21 type Mazuri. They offer a LS(low starch) type. A lot of sulcata's don't like it. Feed 2 or 3 times a week. I add a little water to soften the pellets. Not to much water so it turns into mush. That's how my sulcata likes his Mazuri. To mushy and he won't eat it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Any advice to help her gain weight. She is way too skinny. I measured her at 8" long but she's only 680 grams. I have parasite meds coming (going to dose her just to make sure that's not an issue) but any advice would be welcome. I am afraid to let her brumate if she doesn't put on weight. (She's my first tortoise but not my first reptile)
Don't bother yet with parasite meds if you don't notice any huge amount of them. And in Heaven's name - No Ivermectin!!! Deadly to all tortoises!!! Just follow the advice given here and watch as your beautiful little tortoise grows and gains weight! Daily, long warm water soaks will do a world of good!

Geist3047

Kingman
I would not do that. If you think she needs to be wormed, you need to run a fecal, see what type, if any, of worm you are dealing with, how numerous they are, and then and only then, should a vet prescribe the correct wormer for that parasitic worm in the correct dose. Worm killing medicine is poison. No need to do that unless it is confirmed necessary. Its not good to do that as a preventative.

This tortoise is undersized because it has been housed, fed and cared for incorrectly. Feed it, care for it, and house it correctly, and the problem will solve itself in time.
Sorry should've been more clear. The stuff I'm talking about isn't the chemical stuff, it's the herbal stuff so I can get the fecal sample. (Vitamin additive to food, not actual medicine) I am gonna get her to a vet asap too and they'll look jer over and chip her for me then. It's just gonna be awhile before she'll be seen. I'm just doing what I can for her in the meantime.