Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Prairie Mom

Look at this, it's purple with white inside. Looks better in person......
jEASmx64D_sS9PiIsnT45BfKWyFwuWjqGninQKRP5vkzAVmz6tw_cu-gC-qc19AJj-AksyK-ml7GpSV22M3zAMEaK008yKn4M7Mr1oJ6OaQUs0SApkKYJtWzFAPc7ECDS-c5S-vKBYGl4KVVyg8PtWNKs1Ybf7Cv-y-KnYLdr_b3QEK4c-FIljrRCZWz_C_WfzhtNmkEdwLmUiBPWse-gT6xDFOd5OlkctpBUGwFLJQjuncGwyhuzoNB254kaRCeAxE1qyXLJCGb_uzXUp2arDdJazSYlKTJod7098cw_PrfpE5u1ORcSBRDB9UD9lRYMTyiydc7gW5XMoAQB3LbIBthSTFNKvMn-tmupKJWXIyw6YSHTYYuBgriLMYsjimQQIuW1KS9Rny4SigkkOamD7PUSre72cF1PznbguJX_4Wc7QKiEokR-HdnFcfHfy5kCQJML-jveXfSI63I7IqUIN7Zg41BeUKFAs4EztRUjc5bAd2va-WNcHnbSR0mLgLP58N5gxSh1YJAyRqTDlAdQfL-UeffcgREhf0f9AnQMte97h07nitKTJ1Kv_StUu4wourd3m7R57pHWDwjGvoKBzPoPYo4FWs=w842-h631-no
That's gorgeous! Never seen one like that

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
So precious! And what a wonderful garden you have! Love your enclosure thread:D And sorry to hear things have been stressful!
Thanks -- trying to get through the last few weeks of grad school! :confused: On the plus side, the giant hollyhock towers in Steve's garden have been producing a ton of seeds!! I just threw a bunch to the other side of our yard. If the rabbits don't eat all of them, maybe they'll make a nice wall from our silly neighbors...

Prairie Mom

Thanks -- trying to get through the last few weeks of grad school! :confused: On the plus side, the giant hollyhock towers in Steve's garden have been producing a ton of seeds!! I just threw a bunch to the other side of our yard. If the rabbits don't eat all of them, maybe they'll make a nice wall from our silly neighbors...
Sounds like a good and pretty plan! Sunflowers can be good for that too. What is your major? Library sciences?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
If the rabbits don't eat all of them, maybe they'll make a nice wall from our silly neighbors...
Wow, I'm so tired! XD I meant "if the birds don't eat" the seeds. HA :p Talk about frazzled! I have 2 final projects, one due exactly a week from today, and then I'm also taking a professional certification exam next Tuesday. So I'm SUPER nervous!!
Sounds like a good and pretty plan! Sunflowers can be good for that too. What is your major? Library sciences?
Yup, master's in library & info science with an archival sciences concentration. When responding to my stress, my hubby says "Well, you picked a competitive industry!" :mad: Poo. Can't say I haven't been trying to work hard. :p

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Found a couple photos for you guys. :) Here's my balloon flower (Platycodon grandiflorus), which isn't in the tort garden. I don't think he can eat this, right? This photo's from early July and the plant has since had a ton of blooms! :D

balloonflower.jpg

In hubby's veggie garden, he found a huge dragonfly with some awesome camouflage! This dude was practically half a foot long or something like that, honest! ;)

giant_dragonfly.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a very interesting plant called dinner plate aeonium. It was one of my favorites. This is what it looked like when I first planted it:

aonium 2-16-15 a.jpg aonium 2-16-15 b.jpg

I was a bit disappointed because it didn't lay flat on the soil, but after it had been growing for a while it started looking like I expected it too. That's when I noticed it had a tiny rotten spot in the center, and this is what it looks like now:

dinner plate aeonium.jpg

totally rotten! So I went online to see if I could replace it and read a bit about them. Seems they are dormant in the summer. So if I had known that, I would have stopped watering it. I killed my favorite plant! I was able to find another one on Amazon, though, so I will soon be able to admire it in my garden.

Last edited:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I had a very interesting plant called dinner plate aeonium. It was one of my favorites. A couple days ago I noticed it had a tiny rotten spot in the center, and this is what it looks like now:

View attachment 182007

totally rotten! So I went online to see if I could replace it and read a bit about them. Seems they are dormant in the summer. So if I had known that, I would have stopped watering it. I killed my favorite plant! I was able to find another one on Amazon, though, so I will soon be able to admire it in my garden.
Awww, the poor little dude didn't make it? :( Do you think there's a chance it may come back later?

Hubby sprayed weed killer all over the yard (except near the tort garden because I said so) so it's quite stinky outside now. I hope it goes away soon and that the smell doesn't bother my tort!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
No, it's totally dead and rotten! Dang it anyway.
Sorry to hear you lost a plant you enjoyed so much. :( I had no idea a succulent had a dormant time!! I only knew that about trees and our lawn (because why water the lawn in the summer anyway?) from living in the suburbs. Good to hear you found another; don't ya love Amazon sometimes? ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry to hear you lost a plant you enjoyed so much. :( I had no idea a succulent had a dormant time!! I only knew that about trees and our lawn (because why water the lawn in the summer anyway?) from living in the suburbs. Good to hear you found another; don't ya love Amazon sometimes? ;)

I LOVE AMAZON!!! I do almost all my online shopping there.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
All our torts are having all organic food from our garden.

Kale, collar green and yam vine.
IMG_0960.JPG

More kale and Yam.
IMG_0961.JPG

more collar green------We eat them also.
IMG_0962.JPG

Mulberry tree.
IMG_0963.JPG

Grape vine.
IMG_0964.JPG

This is the plant we bought back from Yvonne's house when we visited. it grow like weed and we just s scissor off the top portion to feed out torts, they will grow back in two weeks. All out torts love this.
IMG_0965.JPG

So we planted more of this........
IMG_0966.JPG