Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
When my kids were little and we went to the fair, my son was always asking me to buy him a "chameleon." They had those little green anoles displayed on a felt-covered board with a string around them and a safety pin so you could pin it on your clothes.
Omg that sounds... horrible for those anoles!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No Sweetie, this looks like Desert Rose (Obesum ...something) think it's succulent family. Maybe wrong on that. Plumeria has similar looking flowers but the leaves are much bigger,

Mom's second picture is indeed Adenium obesum. Good catch:

images

But my sansevieria doesn't die after it blooms.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh - that was in response to Maggie's cornstalk. Sorry.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Mom's second picture is indeed Adenium obesum. Good catch:

images

But my sansevieria doesn't die after it blooms.
Not sanseveria, those single stalked plants like the corn plant or century plant (agave) they grow for years, get tall, put out that bigaxx bloomspike.., and die after flower goes to seed! I see it around Austin all the time. Big huge agave that I've been driving by, admiring for past decade, then the big bloom spike comes, and "wow! how beautiful!" And next thing you know, the thing is dead

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467645608.139702.jpg ever seen this one?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467645632.918569.jpg Mexican Sunflower. Mine just begins blooming. Soon it'll be covered with those beautiful zinnia like flowers. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467645750.529921.jpg and my Phlox is blooming. I found white and purple ones too this year but it takes 2-3 yrs for the plant to get established before any flowers come

Pearly

5 Year Member
I think you're right!!
I also saw this one! These are all around our hotel in Cabo.
I think this is a plumeria with a slight curl on the leaves. @N2TORTS
View attachment 178884
Just wanted to show you what plumeria leaves look likeImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467649034.480995.jpg those are my neighbor's the plants are over 6ft tall

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Just wanted to show you what plumeria leaves look likeView attachment 179131 those are my neighbor's the plants are over 6ft tall

I have plumeria at home. This plant just looked like another variety of plumeria because the stems looked the same. I will smell it too;)
I'll try to get another look at it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I have plumeria at home. This plant just looked like another variety of plumeria because the stems looked the same. I will smell it too;)
I'll try to get another look at it.
I see. They may very well be in this same family. The do have lot of similarities

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
This is OT but my mother should get an award for picking a large trash bag full of mulberry leaves from a farm in Nebraska and delivering them to my torts here in So Cal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is OT but my mother should get an award for picking a large trash bag full of mulberry leaves from a farm in Nebraska and delivering them to my torts here in So Cal.

I agree, so I got together with the board of directors at the award company, and we came up with this for your mother:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Yummy yummy yummy! So much good stuff taking off with my garden love always coming back to this thread and see the cool flowers.

Attachments

• 1467776110776.jpg
    1467776110776.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 8
  • 1467776126895.jpg
    1467776126895.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1467776137234.jpg
    1467776137234.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1467776154484.jpg
    1467776154484.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 1467776179009.jpg
    1467776179009.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Look at these pretty flowers!!
Not sure what they are.
View attachment 178849
Interesting swirls on the petals!

I must load some garden photos later tonight. I have to leave now to volunteer, but I have some crazy plants growing in our unusually dry weather. My hollyhock is 5 feet tall!! :eek: Didn't see that coming.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Very spiny type of thistle, I brought some rooted plants, cuttings, and seed pods from Middleburg Va.about 6 years ago. The tortoises liked the cuttings, but the seeds didn't germinate. Earlier this spring I saw 2 seedlings that I thought might be these same thistles.(they are).when mature these are as hard to handle as some cactus the spines on the seed pods are so sharp they can hurt just holding them.Picture 881 copy.jpg Picture 885 copy.jpg I hope they bloom and produce seeds.maybe I will have better luck with germination and not have to wait years for another one or two to pop up. I'm going to keep them in pots, they are in 6 inch pots now but will be in larger pots soon.The funny thing is I know somewhere this is a nuisance plant that people burn to get rid of it..

Pearly

5 Year Member
Very spiny type of thistle, I brought some rooted plants, cuttings, and seed pods from Middleburg Va.about 6 years ago. The tortoises liked the cuttings, but the seeds didn't germinate. Earlier this spring I saw 2 seedlings that I thought might be these same thistles.(they are).when mature these are as hard to handle as some cactus the spines on the seed pods are so sharp they can hurt just holding them.View attachment 180036 View attachment 180035 I hope they bloom and produce seeds.maybe I will have better luck with germination and not have to wait years for another one or two to pop up. I'm going to keep them in pots, they are in 6 inch pots now but will be in larger pots soon.The funny thing is I know somewhere this is a nuisance plant that people burn to get rid of it..
Gorgeous thistle! Is it the ornamental kind?

M

Maggie Cummings

Anybody know what this is? The thorns are deadly.....and it's a vine....thanks!DSCN2386.JPG DSCN2385.JPG