Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Prairie Mom

I don't usually buy those packages of produce that include the whole plant, roots and all, but last Friday my store had them marked down to 99 cents because they were getting to be past their sell by date. So I cut off the tops and added it to my baby food for the day, and I planted the roots in a flat in the greenhouse that contains seedlings from a wild grape plant. This was two days ago, and they're growing already:

View attachment 227884 View attachment 227885

My Euphorbia grandicornis in the back ground of the first picture leapt off the shelf a few days ago and broke his pot to smithereens. Since I don't have a new pot, he'll have to stay as is, in a broken pot, until I can get to the store.
That's so cool that they're growing again! I'll buy a few of them when I have to leave the tortoise alone for a couple days. They seem to last a bit longer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Started cutting the mulberry trees back today. before trimming Picture 2796.jpg and after trimmingPicture 2797.jpg I've been doing this for a few years and found they produce more and bigger leaves than the ones I don't cut back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to understand the picture. Are we looking at the Great Lakes? No thank you. . . you can have it!!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hard to understand the picture. Are we looking at the Great Lakes? No thank you. . . you can have it!!!
Yup! :D That's supposed to be Michigan right in the middle of it. Yeah, it's not fun... It has gone up to around 40°F here today, but there's no way all this snow will melt in less than a week...

Just planted some Coleus spp. "Wizard Mixed Colors" seeds in one of Steve's terra cotta pots for his indoor enclosure. Hopefully they do as well as they're supposed to in low-light conditions.

Photo from Burpee's website:

prod000166.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hahahaha! :p Yup, you can make out most of Lake Superior and some of Lake Michigan... We've recently been hit now with lots of rain and judging by all the snow (that's now melting) from that photo, there's a lot of water around these parts. Been in a flood warning/watch for the past two days too. Otherwise, I'm waiting to see some sprouts for indoors seeds.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Hahahaha! :p Yup, you can make out most of Lake Superior and some of Lake Michigan... We've recently been hit now with lots of rain and judging by all the snow (that's now melting) from that photo, there's a lot of water around these parts. Been in a flood warning/watch for the past two days too. Otherwise, I'm waiting to see some sprouts for indoors seeds.
Saw some video of high water somewhere near Detroit on the news this morning.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Saw some video of high water somewhere near Detroit on the news this morning.
Oh yeah, it's definitely a mess for some folks. Luckily our basement looks fine this time around, and our street did not flood. Whew.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I have tried several times over the years to root those wax coated yucca roots sold as food, without success. I picked one up to try something different and there is a glimmer of hope.Picture 2901.jpg Picture 2900.jpgI know it's not much, but better than anything I have gotten befor.e .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Saw this on Facebook this a.m. Spring is springing, and we need to get out there now and be thinking about getting our knees and fingernails dirty!!

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-irish-spring-soap-repel-garden-pests-97701.html
SO excited for some serious gardening! We've just had about a week of really good sunshine, although a lot of temps in the 40s, and that really puts one in the mood for more time spent outdoors. Spring does start tomorrow and it'd be a shame if it snowed again since all the snow around here has finally melted. Steve has some indoor plants that aren't doing so well. They really need to go back outside for the summer. :confused:

Bambam1989

East Texas
The other opuntias in the same pot seem fine. I don't think it's to much water, it's in a well draining soil and I don't water until the soil feels dry at about 3in depth.
Plan on potting in separate pots later this spring but now I'm considering doing it sooner in case it's some kind of disease.