Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
The other opuntias in the same pot seem fine. I don't think it's to much water, it's in a well draining soil and I don't water until the soil feels dry at about 3in depth.
Plan on potting in separate pots later this spring but now I'm considering doing it sooner in case it's some kind of disease.
These aren't growing outdoors? Otherwise, I was going to say it might be because of winter, since Opuntia will drain their pads of water. Mine (planted outside) are a little brown in spots, but I'm fairly certain this will clear up when spring is in full force.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The other opuntias in the same pot seem fine. I don't think it's to much water, it's in a well draining soil and I don't water until the soil feels dry at about 3in depth.
Plan on potting in separate pots later this spring but now I'm considering doing it sooner in case it's some kind of disease.
Oh dear. Yes I would definitly do it sooner then. Also check the soil to make sure it is not an insect etc.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Most of these really dont sound applicable to my situation though[emoji20]
The affected pad was not touching the greenhouse siding and the more sensitive plants that are also kept in the greenhouse have no signs of frost damage. The only possible issue listed is maybe to much humidity, but then why are none of the others affected.
It starts at the top of the pad and gets soft and then browns, the brown then spreads down the pad and turns to mush like something is causing it to rot.
I should have taken a picture before throwing the pad away..

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Most of these really dont sound applicable to my situation though[emoji20]
The affected pad was not touching the greenhouse siding and the more sensitive plants that are also kept in the greenhouse have no signs of frost damage. The only possible issue listed is maybe to much humidity, but then why are none of the others affected.
It starts at the top of the pad and gets soft and then browns, the brown then spreads down the pad and turns to mush like something is causing it to rot.
I should have taken a picture before throwing the pad away..
Maybe it's Scorch or Sunscald? This is caused by a fungus, Hendersonia opuntiae. It's in the fourth paragraph down on the webpage below; maybe some of the other information on there could be helpful as well. There doesn't look to be a good cure for it, but maybe a fungicide could at least help?

https://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/landscaping/flowers/cacti-and-succulents/

Bambam1989

East Texas
Maybe it's Scorch or Sunscald? This is caused by a fungus, Hendersonia opuntiae. It's in the fourth paragraph down on the webpage below; maybe some of the other information on there could be helpful as well. There doesn't look to be a good cure for it, but maybe a fungicide could at least help?

https://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/landscaping/flowers/cacti-and-succulents/
Very interesting page. Thank you.
It actually sounds more like soft rot though except infected area was dark brown, not black.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
20180324_111834.jpg
Does anyone know what the heck these are? There are like three big groups of them on one of my trees.....the one my kids climb in of course

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my. . . looks like maybe some sort of wasp, but I really don't know. Separate one out of the bunch for a picture, then ask Google Image to search for a like image.

Bambam1989

East Texas
If you zoom in really close it looks like there are two types of bugs. The black ones and something that looks striped.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Oh my. . . looks like maybe some sort of wasp, but I really don't know. Separate one out of the bunch for a picture, then ask Google Image to search for a like image.
I have never heard of that....? Off to look up this google image first lol.

They do look kinda like wasps but they are tiny, like grain of cooked rice tiny....maybe cooked, maybe just rice....they're tiny lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yipes! How did your child react to climbing that tree?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
2nd of April and we have snow:confused: .
It’s been a Long cold winter this year. Reminds me of when I was a child. I’d be breaking ice to fish at the end of March with my grandad.
79B4F2A2-D882-4075-A66F-D1B967D2DFB1.jpeg