Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I was actually thinking of asking about using tort poop as fertilizer the other day but forgot to do it lol
I always take Steve's poop to the compost bin in our backyard. Or he will self-compost in his outdoor enclosure. ;)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We had a very cold and windy winter, and early spring hasn't been normal so far. Hopefully spring has finally arrived to the Northern Neck.to stay. I lost some older cactus plants that have done fine for years. This one really surprised medead cactus a.jpg it's been there for over 10 years, on the south side of the house and protected from the northern winds.There's some pads that broke off laying on the ground that are fine and can be replanted. In the next pic there are 3 different types, 2 with long spines and one spineless.One with spines gone, the other with spines damaged but not killed, the spineless one in the front is fine. spineless in front.jpgThe next pic is of my favorite spineless, and they held up great in the very cold weatherfavorite spineless.jpg The seedling palms which did fine are in the center of the pic I have been potting them in 6 inch pots since taking this pic this morning, so far I've done 25 with at least 10 more to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My cactus all do very well during the winter, but then, we never get snow. One year we had a freak snow that lasted for a day, sitting on top of the tips of the cactus, and those tips rotted and died, but the cacti were ok.

Len B

10 Year Member!
My cactus all do very well during the winter, but then, we never get snow. One year we had a freak snow that lasted for a day, sitting on top of the tips of the cactus, and those tips rotted and died, but the cacti were ok.
Most of the cactus that you are able to grow probably would be mush by the end of November here. Actually snow is beneficial during really cold weather because it works as an insulator to protect what I am able to grow from the unusual cold temps like we had last winter.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
We had a very cold and windy winter, and early spring hasn't been normal so far. Hopefully spring has finally arrived to the Northern Neck.to stay. I lost some older cactus plants that have done fine for years. This one really surprised meView attachment 237336 it's been there for over 10 years, on the south side of the house and protected from the northern winds.There's some pads that broke off laying on the ground that are fine and can be replanted. In the next pic there are 3 different types, 2 with long spines and one spineless.One with spines gone, the other with spines damaged but not killed, the spineless one in the front is fine. View attachment 237337The next pic is of my favorite spineless, and they held up great in the very cold weatherView attachment 237338 The seedling palms which did fine are in the center of the pic I have been potting them in 6 inch pots since taking this pic this morning, so far I've done 25 with at least 10 more to do.
It was indeed a strange winter here in Michigan. Our native cactus looks like it's doing OK but we're still not sure yet on the ones you sent. I did leave a few of the spineless Opuntia indoors for Steve, just in case.

Len B

10 Year Member!
It was indeed a strange winter here in Michigan. Our native cactus looks like it's doing OK but we're still not sure yet on the ones you sent. I did leave a few of the spineless Opuntia indoors for Steve, just in case.
All the spineless that is planted in the ground did fine, lost about 50% of those in pots.No rhyme or reason on why some got damaged and others didn't. The banana trees are starting to show life but nothing from the any of the elephant ears yet. All the cactus are getting new growth and most are flower buds very few new pads. I really don't need all the cactus I grow since I'm down to just 4 tortoises so let them all bloom.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Been potting some cactus pads and seedling palms, Ended up with 47 palms.Just getting started with the cactus, did about 25 today from a plant in one of the torts enclosure. This is the plantPicture 3039.jpg after removing over 30 pads.Heres some of them..Picture 3035.jpgThe palms are still just one leaf but new growth starting to peek out on some of them.Picture 3036.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Been potting some cactus pads and seedling palms, Ended up with 47 palms.Just getting started with the cactus, did about 25 today from a plant in one of the torts enclosure. This is the plantView attachment 237463 after removing over 30 pads.Heres some of them..View attachment 237461The palms are still just one leaf but new growth starting to peek out on some of them.View attachment 237462
You're quite the gardener! What do you have planned for all those starts?

In one or two more days I'll be able to send you a picture of my blooming Opuntia virginiosa lenii. One bud is open today, but there are many, many more. Looks like it's a yellow one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Len B

10 Year Member!
You're quite the gardener! What do you have planned for all those starts?

In one or two more days I'll be able to send you a picture of my blooming Opuntia virginiosa lenii. One bud is open today, but there are many, many more. Looks like it's a yellow one.
Just like everything I grow, Give them away to anyone that wants them. Love the name of your Opuntia.