Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Heck, I live on a very busy street - speed limit 65mph - and I'm a hermit! I put up a 6' privacy fence around my property and a gate across the driveway, and I live here happily by myself with no visitors and no salespeople knocking at my door (they can't get to my door due to the gate).
I have the gate[emoji16]
We have a privacy hedge but it will probably be 2-3years before it's grown big enough.

I should elaborate that my ideal place would be one that I hear little to no traffic, and enough land to have a nice farm.. 100acres or more would be great!
My husband feels the same way, we also aren't a fan of this state, so he has been keeping an eye out for a different job opportunity that will allow for relocation.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here's my summer privacy fence across the back of the yard.grapevine.jpg My grapevine, But it only works until the leaves fall off in the fall. I've had the 2 ducks since Easter and the only people that have seen them are my youngest son and @PJay They will be noticed soon, they are getting quite vocal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my summer privacy fence across the back of the yard.View attachment 241339 My grapevine, But it only works until the leaves fall off in the fall. I've had the 2 ducks since Easter and the only people that have seen them are my youngest son and @PJay They will be noticed soon, they are getting quite vocal.
Is that the wild grape you sent me seeds from? I managed to kill all the little wide grape sprouts from the seed you sent, but this year I have about 10 palm trees sprouting. They didn't sprout last year, but are coming up nicely this year. Now I have to figure out where I'm going to plant them. I'm disappointed I killed the wild grape, darn it. The banana trees you sent have extra little shoots alongside the originals, but the originals are still only about 8" tall. I'm the banana tree failure!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Is that the wild grape you sent me seeds from? I managed to kill all the little wide grape sprouts from the seed you sent, but this year I have about 10 palm trees sprouting. They didn't sprout last year, but are coming up nicely this year. Now I have to figure out where I'm going to plant them. I'm disappointed I killed the wild grape, darn it. The banana trees you sent have extra little shoots alongside the originals, but the originals are still only about 8" tall. I'm the banana tree failure!
Yes that is the plant your seeds came from. When I was digging the seedling palms to put in pots there were still seeds underground that haven't sprouted yet, I just left there to see if they come up this year. Don't give up on the banana trees. If you have new shoots They have rooted well. Just keep the soil moist this summer.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Here's my summer privacy fence across the back of the yard.View attachment 241339 My grapevine, But it only works until the leaves fall off in the fall. I've had the 2 ducks since Easter and the only people that have seen them are my youngest son and @PJay They will be noticed soon, they are getting quite vocal.
Is that muscadine grapes?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Here ya go Carol. Some pics of my flower garden.
The property was originally a plant nursery and this was the "display garden" but the previous owner let the gardens go. I've slowly been getting them under control. Darn aphids have done a number on my roses. I wish I had pics of when I first got the place. There is still so much that needs to be done...View attachment 241310View attachment 241311View attachment 241312View attachment 241313View attachment 241314View attachment 241315
Your garden is awesome. You have done a fantastic job so far. You will have to update your pics once you think your garden is where it should be and are happy. Although gardeners never really think that their garden is done. Lol[emoji3] [emoji6]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Heck, I live on a very busy street - speed limit 65mph - and I'm a hermit! I put up a 6' privacy fence around my property and a gate across the driveway, and I live here happily by myself with no visitors and no salespeople knocking at my door (they can't get to my door due to the gate).
Lol. That is one way to do it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
My giant sunflower is busy blooming and my honeysuckle, lavender and rose bush are all very happy with the rain that have been falling lately. And of course my hibiscus which generally flowers all year long for me and my torts. I didn't even realise that I had that many flowers. 20180609_154823.jpeg20180609_154834.jpeg20180609_154918.jpeg20180609_154930.jpeg20180609_155018.jpeg20180609_155105.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My giant sunflower is busy blooming and my honeysuckle, lavender and rose bush are all very happy with the rain that have been falling lately. And of course my hibiscus which generally flowers all year long for me and my torts. I didn't even realise that I had that many flowers. View attachment 241378View attachment 241379View attachment 241380View attachment 241381View attachment 241382View attachment 241383
Beautiful! I thought it was winter there. What the heck are all these plants doing blooming in the winter?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Here’s a quick shot of our Hardy Banana trees coming up for another Summer. They spend all Winter in the garage hibernating, but once Spring arrives, they are ready to shoot up leaves.
View attachment 241253
Absolutely love the banana!! :<3:
Hardy bannana!? Man I wanna grow those. My buddy says he's bring me some soon.. ugh do they freeze down to the ground every year?

Edit.. duh they go in the garage
They should be a Musa basjoo variety.
To bad it's so close to the road. I wanna be a hermit...
My husband and I would love a small house surrounded by gardens and forests away from all the traffic. Someday...!
The banana tree we received from @Turtulas-Len didn't survive our winter. :( We probably could have covered it with more mulch but our winter was nasty. We'll be sure to find some cold hardy ones in the future.
My giant sunflower is busy blooming and my honeysuckle, lavender and rose bush are all very happy with the rain that have been falling lately. And of course my hibiscus which generally flowers all year long for me and my torts. I didn't even realise that I had that many flowers. View attachment 241378View attachment 241379View attachment 241380View attachment 241381View attachment 241382View attachment 241383
Wonderful! Our hibiscus is growing great this year; we can't wait for blooms either! :D

Last edited: