Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A few pics from today, First the purple bloom cactus from Texas opened andsupposed to be purple.jpgit's close to purple, almost.. I did get a cactus bloom open today that isn't yellowcholla.jpgI no longer use these as a food source but the banana trees after a slow start are starting to show themselves. Here's 4 of the larger groups.Picture 3502.jpg Picture 3504.jpg Picture 3505.jpg Picture 3506.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Grand Rapids Michigan
Where are you?
Representin' the mitten state! ;)
A few pics from today, First the purple bloom cactus from Texas opened andView attachment 241804it's close to purple, almost.. I did get a cactus bloom open today that isn't yellowView attachment 241805I no longer use these as a food source but the banana trees after a slow start are starting to show themselves. Here's 4 of the larger groups.View attachment 241807 View attachment 241808 View attachment 241809 View attachment 241810
Love the plants! They look so nice next to the cactus and tortoise sculpture! One of Stevie's outdoor cactuses from you has revived from our winter. Whew!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Representin' the mitten state! ;)
Love the plants! They look so nice next to the cactus and tortoise sculpture! One of Stevie's outdoor cactuses from you has revived from our winter. Whew!
Good. I ended up loosing just one complete plant. Others had some damage but survived.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few pics from today, First the purple bloom cactus from Texas opened andView attachment 241804it's close to purple, almost.. I did get a cactus bloom open today that isn't yellowView attachment 241805I no longer use these as a food source but the banana trees after a slow start are starting to show themselves. Here's 4 of the larger groups.View attachment 241807 View attachment 241808 View attachment 241809 View attachment 241810
That purple one is a Cholla, right? I have several Cholla that bloom dark pink or purple. Most of the opuntia (at least the ones I have) are yellow.

My banana trees are finally starting to grow. The two from you that I planted in the front are now about 2 and a half feet tall!

Since this patch is almost finished blooming I decided to pick some fruit this morning.View attachment 242539 View attachment 242540 Picked 282 fruits, Wish more tortoise keepers were close enough share with. . Also saw the first one of these this morningView attachment 242551
Is that a rose beetle?

Len B

10 Year Member!
That purple one is a Cholla, right? I have several Cholla that bloom dark pink or purple. Most of the opuntia (at least the ones I have) are yellow.

My banana trees are finally starting to grow. The two from you that I planted in the front are now about 2 and a half feet tall!

Is that a rose beetle?
Yes it's a cholla. In a few years you probably will be giving banana trees away because your climate is much better than mine for them to multiply and spread. Out here they are called Japanese beetles I don't know if they have different names in other parts of the country.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's right. I just remembered my mother-in-law killing them off her rose bushes. Forgot their name until you said it.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Picked 282 fruits
282?!?!? :eek: I definitely couldn't have guessed that from the photo! Nicely done! I saw a few flower buds on my Opuntia for Steve this year, yey!
Yes it's a cholla. In a few years you probably will be giving banana trees away because your climate is much better than mine for them to multiply and spread. Out here they are called Japanese beetles I don't know if they have different names in other parts of the country.
I think it was last summer when I really started seeing a bunch of them. Hopefully I don't see as many in my backyard this year.

Len B

10 Year Member!
282?!?!? :eek: I definitely couldn't have guessed that from the photo! Nicely done! I saw a few flower buds on my Opuntia for Steve this year, yey!

I think it was last summer when I really started seeing a bunch of them. Hopefully I don't see as many in my backyard this year.
When I looked at them I guessed about 150 so I got 2 bags figuring about 75 per bag and when I got to 75 i knew I was way off so I put a 100 In the first bag and then 100 in the second and had to get another bag.for the rest. As for the bugs they have never been real bad here, If there are a bunch in one place I will gather them up and drop them in the pond for the water turtles treat. Once they hit the water they can't fly away and are terrible swimmers.

Len B

10 Year Member!
When I took this pic on April 29 I wasn't sure what had survived our very harsh winter,2 monts ago.jpg Today's pic shows that everything is backtoday.jpg Here's another pic to show how some opuntia can survive in all the wrong conditions. I put these in this wheelbarrow last year. The bottom is rusted out so I have screwed hardware cloth in the bottom to keep stuff in. the only substrate would be leaves and pine needles that have fallen in over time.Today I noticed one was blooming.wheel barrow.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
When I took this pic on April 29 I wasn't sure what had survived our very harsh winter,View attachment 243305 Today's pic shows that everything is backView attachment 243306 Here's another pic to show how some opuntia can survive in all the wrong conditions. I put these in this wheelbarrow last year. The bottom is rusted out so I have screwed hardware cloth in the bottom to keep stuff in. the only substrate would be leaves and pine needles that have fallen in over time.Today I noticed one was blooming.View attachment 243307
Of course. Silly Opuntia! :D

Your first photo with the banana plants and elephant ears reminds me of the many plant catalogs we've all received in the mail!