Garden lizards sharing outdoor enclosure

Clementine's Keeper

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
My young Russian is enjoying her new outdoor enclosure but i've noticed she has to share with several tiny visitors. Lizards (geckos?) sneak in to share her water bowl and bask on her rocks. She stares them out but doesn't approach them. I rather like she has a bit of entertainment and there's probably no way I can keep her visitors out, we have so many here in Houston. Are they okay drinking together or do wild geckos carry diseases? Anyone know? Thanks

daniellenc

Maryland
All wild animals carry diseases there's no vet, lol. On a serious note I am not sure what your Russian could catch inadvertently eating their feces but I imagine in the wild the two are forced to share space. Other than using very small wire to keep everything out there's probably not much you can do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My young Russian is enjoying her new outdoor enclosure but i've noticed she has to share with several tiny visitors. Lizards (geckos?) sneak in to share her water bowl and bask on her rocks. She stares them out but doesn't approach them. I rather like she has a bit of entertainment and there's probably no way I can keep her visitors out, we have so many here in Houston. Are they okay drinking together or do wild geckos carry diseases? Anyone know? Thanks

Wild critters do and will share the same spaces outdoors....they depend on one another for a variety of reasons....

Marianna

Crete Greece
I agree. Sometimes small lizzards will bask on top of my tortoises. Apparently more comfortable than the rocks :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here in Florida, my tortoise pens are LOADED with lizards and my Redfoot WILL eat them, if they can. And they don't mind if they're dead or even very dead.
I firmly believe that they've gotten parasites from doing just that. But stopping it from happening is not realistic.
Now, keeping tree frogs and Caine toads out of the pools is a little easier. But I've also grown to not stress over them either.