Gathered Some Box Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Their activity is slowing down,so I started getting them rounded up for their hibernation, I have a few more of the younger ones to locate and move to their winter areas. For the adults I place piles of grass, straw, leaves, etc away from the outside walls of the enclosure and they will burrow under when they are ready. I am a little more cautious with the smaller turtles and set them up in an area next to the house where they will be safe and sound all winter with a more constant cool temperature without the variation the adults can have over winter if we get some long warm spells. The last pic is of the recent hatchlings who are going to stay awake this winter, they started eating about 2 weeks after hatching and are doing fine.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great hatchlings Len. Yup, it's about that time. I am only feeding twice a week now, and they aren't too interested in eating. I took out my bag of leaf litter that I saved from last year and put it in the hibernation cave. This week I'll go in the woods and get some pine hay to top it off. This morning I took in the 4 juvies (2 year olds). At least I'll have something to play with this Winter.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I found the 2 younger ones that I wanted to move, also spotted 4 hatchlings over the last 3 days, Monday a lady stopped by with a young male they didn't want any longer, our weather is still in the 70s during the day and in the 50s at night. Here's what I found since last post.The last pic is of the two I spotted setting at the opening of the hole today, they were covered with dirt, after a cleaning they look nothing alike.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful markings on those younger ones. Len, how often are you feeding now? Mine are slowing down and didn't want to eat yesterday. Wondering if I should stop feeding and leave them to find their own food if they want to eat.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Len said:
I found the 2 younger ones that I wanted to move, also spotted 4 hatchlings over the last 3 days, Monday a lady stopped by with a young male they didn't want any longer, our weather is still in the 70s during the day and in the 50s at night. Here's what I found since last post.The last pic is of the two I spotted setting at the opening of the hole today, they were covered with dirt, after a cleaning they look nothing alike.

Wow, these guys n gals look great! Nice colors!

Len B

10 Year Member!
terryo said:
Beautiful markings on those younger ones. Len, how often are you feeding now? Mine are slowing down and didn't want to eat yesterday. Wondering if I should stop feeding and leave them to find their own food if they want to eat.
Hey Terry, Since I let them hibernate as natural as possible, I have food available for them if they want it. I see where some have eaten when it warms up during the day. There are leftovers though, I believe they know when to stop eating. We are in a dry spell and I run the sprinkler for them, something I don't remember doing at this time of year before. No rain predicted for the next 10 days, but temps stay in the 70s, last nights low was 62.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Same here Len. I had to add water to their pond this AM. Just wondering what other's do, as for feeding. I'm still offering a little food, but not much, and no one's eating anything I offer, although there's plenty of other things for them to eat in the garden. My little three year old Eastern looks very much like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.