Gender Determination

DWB

5 Year Member
Found our baby Sully outside, probably an outdoor brood, so incubation temps in late summer in the IE would point to.....?

We've had "it" a little less than 2 months, and "it" deserves a name. We think we have a good name in mind, but it is gender specific.

I know it can't be 100%, but the probable sex would make us more comfortable. Thanks, Dave & Wendy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The temperature down in the nest hole depends upon quite a few things...how deep the hole was, if it was in direct sun, how hot the weather was...there's just no way of knowing if you have a male or a female. I suggest a non-gender specific name, such as Snooky, Sweet-ums. Can you tell I like the sweet little nicknames that end up being so strange on a 150lb tortoise?

Once your tortoise gets set up outside, when it is older, it will more than likely name itself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We have relative cool nights here in SoCal. This means that overall average temps in a nest in the ground will tend to be on the low end of the "warm enough to develop and hatch" spectrum. I suspect the majority of the torts hatched in-ground here are male. However, if it were a hot year, a shallow nest, and your torts egg was at the top of the pile nearer to the hot surface, it is certainly possible to get a female.

I like this Yvonne. :)

Yvonne G said:
Once your tortoise gets set up outside, when it is older, it will more than likely name itself.