Adopted a baby sulcata- any tips appreciated!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I too have felt some comments sounded rude on this forum. I don't believe that they are trying to be. Most information that I've read is accurate on raising healthy torts. We hope that you stay and enjoy this site. You'll find no better knowledge about tortoises anywhere else, I assure you.
One thing that will help every new member, is to read the stickies on there particular species. That will help answer alot of the questions that people first ask.
Anyway, welcome you and your tortoises to the forum.
True: they may not mean to be rude, however one should think before one talks. Know what I mean?

@wellington please do NOT take this personal; I do not mean you. OK?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
@Amanda8653 , hope you've calmed down. :)

Please check your PM (Private Messages Inbox). Thank you. :<3:

Amanda8653

Michigan
I too have felt some comments sounded rude on this forum. I don't believe that they are trying to be. Most information that I've read is accurate on raising healthy torts. We hope that you stay and enjoy this site. You'll find no better knowledge about tortoises anywhere else, I assure you.
One thing that will help every new member, is to read the stickies on there particular species. That will help answer alot of the questions that people first ask.
Anyway, welcome you and your tortoises to the forum.
Thank you for the reassurance!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
True: they may not mean to be rude, however one should think before one talks. Know what I mean?

@wellington please do NOT take this personal; I do not mean you. OK?
I don't think anyone intended to be rude. You can't tell tone in a forum post. You can't see the poster's face to see their expression.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think anyone intended to be rude. You can't tell tone in a forum post. You can't see the poster's face to see their expression.
I do know what you mean. That is why I am always cautious/careful when posting something. Still, I believe that one should think before on TYPES / POSTS.

Again, I do NOT mean you @wellington .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do know what you mean. That is why I am always cautious/careful when posting something. Still, I believe that one should think before on TYPES / POSTS.

Again, I do NOT mean you @wellington .
Don't worry about it. It doesn't really bother me if you did mean me. I have said it all along, from long ago, that it's more important to get the info about the animal out more then the persons feelings.
That said, I do try to not be rude. However, I'm not one of those kind of people that will just say how cute a tort is, or great job, etc etc, without also pointing out either what needs improving or in this case what possible wrong info may have been followed. I always do mean it though in the nicest way and with only good intentions. I always will apologize too, if it's taken wrong and will explain further why I said what I said.

Amanda8653

Michigan
You don't have to see a persons face to decipher distaste and condescending attitude.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't have to see a persons face to decipher distaste and condescending attitude.

In some cases you are correct, but over the years I've been a part of, and witness to, many misunderstandings like this.

I know Barb. She is a good person. I met her while I was working in Chicago and had dinner with her and her husband. Both of them are fantastic people. She has helped me and done many favors for me over the years, and she is a fierce defender of animals and their well-being. When she says she only has good intentions, that is the truth.

I hope you'll stick around and join in the conversation here. There is an "Ignore" feature, where you can make it so that anything a particular member types doesn't show up for you. Then, you only get the good stuff that you want, and anybody who just rubs you the wrong way won't show up on your screen.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
In some cases you are correct, but over the years I've been a part of, and witness to, many misunderstandings like this.

I know Barb. She is a good person. I met her while I was working in Chicago and had dinner with her and her husband. Both of them are fantastic people. She has helped me and done many favors for me over the years, and she is a fierce defender of animals and their well-being. When she says she only has good intentions, that is the truth.

I hope you'll stick around and join in the conversation here. There is an "Ignore" feature, where you can make it so that anything a particular member types doesn't show up for you. Then, you only get the good stuff that you want, and anybody who just rubs you the wrong way won't show up on your screen.
I think she might have been referring to me, and my comment asking if she was prepared for a 100 pound bulldozer.

Amanda8653

Michigan
How much does your new baby Napoleon, weigh? I think one of the funnest parts of raising a Sulcata is tracking its growth. Mine was 273 grams and barely 4 inches long when i got her at 20 months old, and now at 26 months old she us 497 grams and almost 6 inches. Your baby seems like he/she is a good size, not too small.
I just weighed mine and he only weighs 35 grams! That seems SO SMALL.

Attachments

• IMG_5918.JPG
    IMG_5918.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

Amanda8653

Michigan
I finally got my Scale working and he only weighs 35 grams. That seems so tiny to me! Can anyone stab at a guesstimate age? So little

Attachments

• IMG_5918.JPG
    IMG_5918.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It does look like there is a Tiny one
They usually lose that by 4-6 weeks after hatching.

Unfortunately it is common for many sellers to fib about the age, either because they really don't know, or because they think the customer wants to hear one thing or another.

In any case, at 35 grams, it is not likely that your baby is 4 months old, but this hopefully won't matter at all in 10 years when he/she is all grown up. Just letting you know is all.

When I see someone who has been mislead about this sort of thing, it makes me concerned about what other info they were given by the person who sold them the tortoise. I'm usually too pushy with new people because time is critical for babies, but I'm trying to take a kinder, gentler approach with you. If you want to share the care and product info you were given, I'll be happy to share my experience and recommendations about what you were told. All in the interest of helping your baby be as healthy and happy as possible, and helping you to have a positive sulcata experience.

Amanda8653

Michigan
They usually lose that by 4-6 weeks after hatching.

Unfortunately it is common for many sellers to fib about the age, either because they really don't know, or because they think the customer wants to hear one thing or another.

In any case, at 35 grams, it is not likely that your baby is 4 months old, but this hopefully won't matter at all in 10 years when he/she is all grown up. Just letting you know is all.

When I see someone who has been mislead about this sort of thing, it makes me concerned about what other info they were given by the person who sold them the tortoise. I'm usually too pushy with new people because time is critical for babies, but I'm trying to take a kinder, gentler approach with you. If you want to share the care and product info you were given, I'll be happy to share my experience and recommendations about what you were told. All in the interest of helping your baby be as healthy and happy as possible, and helping you to have a positive sulcata experience.

As far as background information I wasn't really given too much, he did say he wasn't sure of the age to begin with so I'm not suprised that he's younger than I imagined him to be( not that it matters we love him regardless) I will just have to be extra thorough in researching his diet and other important factors

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As far as background information I wasn't really given too much, he did say he wasn't sure of the age to begin with so I'm not suprised that he's younger than I imagined him to be( not that it matters we love him regardless) I will just have to be extra thorough in researching his diet and other important factors
Well in that case, I hope you find the links from the beginning of your thread helpful.

Please feel free to ask all your questions here.

Bass.Isles

I just weighed mine and he only weighs 35 grams! That seems SO SMALL.
I have that same scale. And i know right, it's amazing how something so tiny will grow to be so enormous. A real "elephant in a shell". Something I have learned on this forum through reading and looking at other peoples sulcata pics (and through talking with and being reasured by Tom lol), is that they all grow at incredibly varied rates. I saw a pic/read a post tge otger day of someone who had a 4 year old sulcata that weighed over 30 lbs. Mt Isla is 26 months and weighs a little over 1 lb lol. But she's healthy and seems very happy. I think it makes a huge difference, how well they are started out. I adopted her at 20 months old and she was barely 270 grams (she's 500 now), and was dehydrated with a calcium deficiency. She was basically fed lettuce for the first 20 months of her life. I think you will do very well with your little guy or girl, especially if you continually try to always keep learning. Before I got Isla, i spent 2 months reading and trying to learn all i could. Unfortunately i didn't find this awesome forum until after I had bought and set up a very wrong enclosure and brought her home to it. I rectified it as quickly as I could, with the help of folks on here, and she quickly perked right up. I'm still continually reading and trying new things with her, feeling out what works best. It's a fun learning process.