Adopted a baby sulcata- any tips appreciated!

Amanda8653

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Greetings! I have 2 Russians and we recently took in a baby sulcata we've named Napoleon(gender unknown obviously) we are so happy we have him but also nervous because my tortoise knowledge mostly extends to Russians. I'm not even sure how old he is, I was told 4 months but he seems TINY. We have a large indoor enclosure set up for him and plan is building an outdoor one for the warmer months. And tips/info on diet/feeding habits/enclosure tips would be so appreciated!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_5890.JPG
    IMG_5890.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5892.JPG
    IMG_5892.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Follow our caresheets under the sulcata section and closed chamber thread.
As for your Russians, I hope they are not housed together and if adults, they have at least a 4x8 enclosure each.
Seeing your new here, I can only assume you got your Russian info either from the store they were purchased or some other sight with bad incorrect info. So take a read thru the Russian section too

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Amanda8653 .

Cute! GOD bless.

Please separate torts. These cute animals do not like company. Give your torts daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding. Do not hesitate to ask any question when in need of help.

Love the name: Napoleon!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Very cute tort! Welcome to the forum. Have you figured out what you are going to do when he is 100 pounds and it is freezing in Michigan?

Amanda8653

Michigan
Read this, it's an excellent guide.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
As you probably already know, sulcata care is pretty different than russian care.
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Amanda8653 .

Cute! GOD bless.

Please separate torts. These cute animals do not like company. Give your torts daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding. Do not hesitate to ask any question when in need of help.

Love the name: Napoleon!
Thank you!

Amanda8653

Michigan
Very cute tort! Welcome to the forum. Have you figured out what you are going to do when he is 100 pounds and it is freezing in Michigan?

Ah yes thanks for that, we are Moving to Florida after Christmas and I assume we will figure it out from there.

Amanda8653

Michigan
Follow our caresheets under the sulcata section and closed chamber thread.
As for your Russians, I hope they are not housed together and if adults, they have at least a 4x8 enclosure each.
Seeing your new here, I can only assume you got your Russian info either from the store they were purchased or some other sight with bad incorrect info. So take a read thru the Russian section too

Why is that an assumption just because I'm new here? I've had my Russians since they were babies and my oldest will be 6. I'm new here because I didn't know this site existed until last week. I was just trying to meet nice people who enjoys tortoises like I do and get some sulcata advice. So far I have been only gotten condescending advice on my Russians that I barely even brought up. This forum is not what I thought it would be. :/

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Why is that an assumption just because I'm new here? I've had my Russians since they were babies and my oldest will be 6. I'm new here because I didn't know this site existed until last week. I was just trying to meet nice people who enjoys tortoises like I do and get some sulcata advice. So far I have been only gotten condescending advice on my Russians that I barely even brought up. This forum is not what I thought it would be. :/
This is a wonderful group of people. I hope you'll stick around. I'm sorry you felt the advice you received was condescending. It's just that so many people come here that have relied on what they were told at pet stores, so we want to make sure they have the correct information. We all want the same result - to give our tortoises the best life possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not trying to be rude or condescending. Sorry if it came off that way. We just have all been there, well most of us, that searched the Internet for advice and have come across all the places with bad advice. A lot of us have the tortoises to show for the bad advice. Nothing I'm blaming you for, it's just what the experience has been. Pet stores, some vets, a lot of breeders and most websites still give wrong outdated advice. Just trying to inform you before it's too late for your torts, incase you got that bad advice. We also know that a lot of people that have had their torts for a long time, have a hard time excepting that what they have been doing is wrong and not good for their torts. Again, not the fault of the owners for trusting the advice they were given. The only faults on the owners is not excepting that there is new, better, more correct advice and then not excepting and making changes.
This is a very tortoise passionate forum and only want the best for the tortoises and for the owners to learn thru many mistakes learned over the years and not have to go thru those mistakes themselves.
I assumed nothing, was merely asking and informing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's very easy. Insulated and heated shed. It's not really a problem having torts in cold areas, just more expensive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

First, Hello and welcome.

The advice given here is usually different than the advice found at pet stores, in books, from vets, and even from breeders. For decades, most species have been cared for all wrong, and the old advice was based on incorrect assumptions about what they need, and how they live in the wild.

Forgive Barb's abruptness, but its because we see soooooo many people come here who have gotten bad advice elsewhere, and we've seen the damage it can do. Are your two russians living together as a pair? This is a bad situation for them, and we try to help people realize this ASAP when they join.

In addition to the thread linked above, here are a couple more for your sulcata:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

We're here to talk tortoises and help out, so let your questions fly!

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I too have felt some comments sounded rude on this forum. I don't believe that they are trying to be. Most information that I've read is accurate on raising healthy torts. We hope that you stay and enjoy this site. You'll find no better knowledge about tortoises anywhere else, I assure you.
One thing that will help every new member, is to read the stickies on there particular species. That will help answer alot of the questions that people first ask.
Anyway, welcome you and your tortoises to the forum.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Congratulations on your new tortoise. He looks like he could be 4 months or older. All the information you can find under SULCATAS will be very helpful. Enjoy him/her. Hutsie

Bass.Isles

How much does your new baby Napoleon, weigh? I think one of the funnest parts of raising a Sulcata is tracking its growth. Mine was 273 grams and barely 4 inches long when i got her at 20 months old, and now at 26 months old she us 497 grams and almost 6 inches. Your baby seems like he/she is a good size, not too small.