Geochelone sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluras

10 Year Member!
First off HELLO EVERYONE, Im new this forum:D.I just recently got a Geochelone sulcata, thats what the buyer posted it as, I hear there are differences, depending on the common name. Being new to the tortoise world I dont have a clue what the differences are. Are there some subspecies or something? could someone shed some light on the subject please?
Thanks soo much in advance.
~Aaron

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Aaron :)

There is only one tortoise with that scientific name and thats a sulcata. It's the common names that can get you into trouble, but the scientific names are what pretty much stay the same.
There aren't any subspecies of sulcata. If you wanted to post a picture we could confirm that you do have a sulcata.
Have a look around the forum and here's a great website for sulcata tortoises. http://www.africantortoise.com/
If you have any questions just ask. :D

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome to the forum...I think that the differences are in the common names. African spurred tortoise is Geochelone sulcata and African spur thigh is the Testudo species...I think, it may be the other way around. I tried to research and find out exactly...but I kept coming back to sulcata so got irritated and am getting off the computer for a while...:)
Welcome and I know you will enjoy it here...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Aaron: Welcome to the forum. You will find what you need to know about Sulcatas here. Take a look through the archives and be sure to look at all the pictures!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.