Getting a baby vs an adult

olivervw

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
Hello all, this is my first post here and i am eager learn more about Russian tortoises and eventually care for one. I am thinking about getting my tortoise from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/ does anyone have any insight as to whether or not they are reputable? from what i can tell they seem OK. my main concern is whether or not to get a baby. I am afraid that if i get a baby it will be too stressed or something and just drop dead. is this a rational fear? the babies on this site are 2" or more. i definitely do not want my baby to die on me as i would feel terrible. if there are any resources you would like to point me to, i would greatly appreciate it, as a newcomer to reptiles.
by the way i am from Delaware, i read in the welcome section i should tell you guys that :D
~Brett

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I have an adult Russian called Ned. He is such a great little guy! I got him as an adult and have had him now for almost 9years. He is about 5.5 inches in length and is probably finished growing.

With regards to the supplier I cannot give you any advice or info. I got my guy from a pet shop where he was being housed and fed pretty badly(although i didnt kniw this at the time). His shell had also pyramided from this poor care.

9 years later he is a happy chappy and with the exception this year of a very bad illness he has been perfect ctly healthy and active.

I think the general consensus is that adults are a more "sturdy" option for a new keeper. They are hardier than a tiny baby. In saying that i think it is important to know how the tort was started off and only a breeder will actually know this and the torts actual age. I realised this when my fella got sick and i could not provide any info on his care before i purchased him. Poor care as a baby can lead to problems later.

With a baby its all about getting the correct balance of humidity, heat, uvb, diet, housing etc. Dont get me wrog these are all extremely important for an adult too.

I suppose it is up to you to decide what you want and hopefully others will chime in here. I would say to make sure to do your research on where he is coming from to ensure that he is healthy, active and started well regardless of age. That way it should hopefully be smoother sailing for you in the long run!

There are a lot of pit falls out there if you havent got your homework done so you are starting in the right direction by asking for info. I wouldnt swap my guy for the world!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I haven't been around enough to fully vouch for their tortoises, but I bought seed packets, cactus pads, and tortoise hay from them. I was very happy with their service. They seem to have a good reputation for supplies, and I have not heard anything bad about their tortoises. Somebody else might be able to fill you in more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The supplier you are looking at is a good place. He's a member of this forum, although not active much any more. As for baby or adult, it really depends on how the baby was started. If started out right there shouldn't be any reason to worry as much as one started out wrong. Adults are more tolerant of mistakes and if time is spent with them, they easily adjust to a new person being the food God.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

olivervw

Delaware
I appreciate all your replies. I think I may be able to take on the responsibility of a baby, since I have the rest of the summer off to keep a close eye on him/ her plus I have a reptile vet within 5 miles. You have eased my worries, thank you.

girlfriday89

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I purchased from Tortoise Supply and was very impressed with the experience. My tortoise arrived well packed and she was adorable and seemed to be very healthy. She seems to be doing well. It's been about 3 weeks. She began eating the very first day, which was great!

Eileen Turpin

My Russian was strolling across the parking lot at my condo, by the 5th time I put him in the plant I went and got him, if I saw him squished I couldn't handle that, his name is Monster Truck. I couldn't handle a baby, I have a female Hermans as well. I have found they are much more labor attensive then I thought oh well I have two

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :) Do not worry/panic: you'll get the help you need here.:D

Please do not forget to post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.:tort:

Good luck! ;)

Eileen Turpin

He was walking across the parking lot at my condo. I got my Hermanns a week earlier, the hardest part they like different foods. They have different personalities as well. I love the blocky look of the Russian, the Hermans is prettier.image.jpegimage.jpeg

EgorNEmmett

Columbus, OH
Hi there! I just wanted to say that I bought both of my baby russians from tortoisesupply.com and had no issues. They're very reputable and respond to any questions that you might have very quickly. I also like the supplies that they sell too. I would highly recommend them.

SoCal
I've actually met the owner of Tortoisesupply in person at the San Diego Reptile Supershow. He's a personable guy doing something he's passionate about, I could tell in my 10 minute conversation with him that he was really dedicated to the animals. I've never bought any of Tortoisesupply's animals, but I will say that I've seen many of their animals in person and I always found myself wanting to buy from them, just never having the funds to do so.

As for the Russian baby vs adult, Tom pretty much said it best. Only thing I can think of to say is that even though babies take more care and time, they are far more rewarding when you raise them up into adulthood. If you're willing to commit the time, raising a baby can be a lot of fun, but this is coming from a guy that loves these animals more than anything on earth. I clean their poop from their enclosure and it's just part of the love of the hobby of tortoise keeping rather than being seen as a dirty chore. There's never a dull moment for me, so raising babies fits what I'm willing to commit. If you're looking for a more independent pet, go adult.

You'll grow more attached to babies you raise, I think that's the reward, the bond you feel with something you raised.

olivervw

Delaware
I chose a Russian because their size is relatively small, compared to something like a Sulcata, which is important because I live in the northeast, and they sound like a good pet with their little personalities that develop in front of you.

olivervw

Delaware
Thank you for your information on Tortoisesupply. I am preparing for his arrival later in the month. I can't wait. :D

Eileen Turpin

I've actually met the owner of Tortoisesupply in person at the San Diego Reptile Supershow. He's a personable guy doing something he's passionate about, I could tell in my 10 minute conversation with him that he was really dedicated to the animals. I've never bought any of Tortoisesupply's animals, but I will say that I've seen many of their animals in person and I always found myself wanting to buy from them, just never having the funds to do so.

As for the Russian baby vs adult, Tom pretty much said it best. Only thing I can think of to say is that even though babies take more care and time, they are far more rewarding when you raise them up into adulthood. If you're willing to commit the time, raising a baby can be a lot of fun, but this is coming from a guy that loves these animals more than anything on earth. I clean their poop from their enclosure and it's just part of the love of the hobby of tortoise keeping rather than being seen as a dirty chore. There's never a dull moment for me, so raising babies fits what I'm willing to commit. If you're looking for a more independent pet, go adult.

You'll grow more attached to babies you raise, I think that's the reward, the bond you feel with something you raised.
I rescued my Russian from a parking lot and though he's adult he's a hand full, he doesn't hiss at me any more and let's me pet him but he's s little Monster Truck, that's his name too. Being new. I would be scared of s baby I can barely handle the adult, I had just bought a Hermans the week before and they are so different.