Getting a first tortoise in my life

epei

Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Good day everybody,
I'm looking forward to finding the first tortoise in my life, could you guys please give me some suggestions about trustworthy and reliable tortoise stores online? In specific, I'm looking for a Burmese brown moutain tortoise. Thank you guys so much!

Sa Ga

MN
Good day everybody,
I'm looking forward to finding the first tortoise in my life, could you guys please give me some suggestions about trustworthy and reliable tortoise stores online? In specific, I'm looking for a Burmese brown moutain tortoise. Thank you guys so much!
Now that's a different one!!! I'll definitely leave that one to the experts!

That said, do a LOT of research before you buy! Torts seem to be a delicate but hardly creature--do it right, they'll go and go. Do things that seem so simple to us incorrectly, (we don't worry about UVB, calcium, diet, heat, humidity, or even hydration, with our warm blooded animals really at all), it will very likely kill your precious little guy!

There is a lot of info--and MISinfo--out there, so beware! And just because someone says, "Mine is fine!" they may very well be building up problems for later. Make sure your info source is truly reliable--there are BREEDERS starting out babies incorrectly! The good news is you've come to a GREAT source for info and ideas--welcome! ?

Big tip: make sure you have access and have found a reliable, TRULY knowledgeable tort vet in your area who knows YOUR breed of tort. If you don't have one near, and you can't/aren't willing to travel a bit, you may want to reconsider ownership as things do come up and a good vet is a must!

If you need help finding one, ask here and/or try googling for your local Herp Society to recommend one they use.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

epei

Boston
Now that's a different one!!! I'll definitely leave that one to the experts!

That said, do a LOT of research before you buy! Torts seem to be a delicate but hardly creature--do it right, they'll go and go. Do things that seem so simple to us incorrectly, (we don't worry about UVB, calcium, diet, heat, humidity, or even hydration, with our warm blooded animals really at all), it will very likely kill your precious little guy!

There is a lot of info--and MISinfo--out there, so beware! And just because someone says, "Mine is fine!" they may very well be building up problems for later. Make sure your info source is truly reliable--there are BREEDERS starting out babies incorrectly! The good news is you've come to a GREAT source for info and ideas--welcome! ?

Big tip: make sure you have access and have found a reliable, TRULY knowledgeable tort vet in your area who knows YOUR breed of tort. If you don't have one near, and you can't/aren't willing to travel a bit, you may want to reconsider ownership as things do come up and a good vet is a must!

If you need help finding one, ask here and/or try googling for your local Herp Society to recommend one they use.

Best wishes and keep us posted!
Thank you very much!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
@jsheffield ...is it you that has one of these?

I have a Black Mountain Tortoise.

I got her from Redfoot Ranch, which I consider to be a highly reputable and reliable online dealer.

He doesn't have any at present... I know because I'm looking to add a few more MEPs to my creep.

I also hear good things about Turtles & Tortoises as well, and I know that in the fall they had a number of MEPs (I know because I almost bought a few, but was worried about shipping them up north in the cold, so I didn't).

I think they're an interesting and beautiful type of tortoise and although I'm by no means an expert, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Jamie