Help Me Choose My First Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Poconos, PA
I'm interested in taking the plunge into keeping my first tortoise. I already have an enclosure that's 3'x6' and it has a second story that's 2'x6'.

That being said I'm interested in a smaller size tortoise that can live in that size enclosure it's whole life. I've been researching Russians, Greeks and Hermanns. I'm sort of leaning more towards a Russian because they seem to stay the smallest in size. Any input that you can provide on any of the mentioned tortoises or enclosure would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Welcome! And congratulations on the decision to get a tortoise. Your enclosure sounds cool, so be sure to post pictures of it. If size is your main consideration, then yes, Russians would be the way to go. I think that really, though, any of the testudos would work for you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Any you mentioned would be a good choice. However, all tortoises should be able to get outside when the temps permit. The enclosure sounds like a great size, just be sure what ever tortoise you choose gets outside too.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
If at all possible it would be good to let the tort get outside and get some sun

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
You should post a pic of your enclosure it sounds cool, with a second story and everything :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
First off, whereabouts do you live, SWDK? A big part of choosing the right tortoise has to do with location, since climate can affect their well-being.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Wow...thanks for all the replies. I plan to keep my tortoise inside most of the year due to where I live. I'm from northeastern PA and live in a mountainous area at 2000' elevation. I start the coal furnace in mid/late October and shut it down in late April. I do have a few months where I can get the tortoise outside. My deck gets good sunlight do
I could make an outside deck enclosure as well.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Ok, here are some pics of the enclosure. I have to make a ramp so the tortoise can make it to the 2nd floor.

01c38764.jpg

285872a1.jpg

afeaf40e.jpg

0432c294.jpg

9b7052f1.jpg

10b76639.jpg

e1caf9ab.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
What a cool enclosure! Is that a new build or was it made for some other lucky creature? Is it wired for internet and cable?? In addition to the ramp, you'll also need a half-wall along the edge of the 2nd story.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Welcome! I'm in upstate NY. I have three steppe tortoises(russians). I think that would be a great cold weather enclosure for a Steppe tortoise. A deck enclosure sounds great :) All tortoises benefit greatly from natural sunshine, I have all of mine outside when it reaches into the 70's. Are you thinking of an adult or a baby?

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Edna said:
What a cool enclosure! Is that a new build or was it made for some other lucky creature? Is it wired for internet and cable?? In addition to the ramp, you'll also need a half-wall along the edge of the 2nd story.

Yeah, I do plan on adding a wall on the 2nd story to keep the little guy/girl from falling off. I have plexiglass already that just needs to be cut and installed.

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Edna said:

Oops, forgot to answer another question. I bought it used from friend who had it built to house snakes. No Internet or cable that I'm aware of...hahaha

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Laurie said:
Welcome! I'm in upstate NY. I have three steppe tortoises(russians). I think that would be a great cold weather enclosure for a Steppe tortoise. A deck enclosure sounds great :) All tortoises benefit greatly from natural sunshine, I have all of mine outside when it reaches into the 70's. Are you thinking of an adult or a baby?

Thanks Laurie! We probably have similar weather conditions so that's good to know you are keeping Russians. I'm definitely interested in getting a baby one. I've been looking around for captive hatched babies, but they seem to be hard to find.

Are yours in their outside pen full time once the weather is right or do you bring them in at night?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
SWDK said:
I'm interested in taking the plunge into keeping my first tortoise. I already have an enclosure that's 3'x6' and it has a second story that's 2'x6'.

That being said I'm interested in a smaller size tortoise that can live in that size enclosure it's whole life. I've been researching Russians, Greeks and Hermanns. I'm sort of leaning more towards a Russian because they seem to stay the smallest in size. Any input that you can provide on any of the mentioned tortoises or enclosure would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm prejuidiced in favor of Hermann's torts...Russians are not that much smaller, in truth, and neither are Greeks. All average close to the same, give or take an inch.

Hermann's are the most interesting AND interested in you (not shy!), and I really like that aspect. If you're keeping only one, a male will stay a little smaller than a female.

Either makes an outstanding pet!

SWDK

5 Year Member
Poconos, PA
Is any one of the three better suited for indoor life over the other? It will be spending 8-9 months indoors due to my climate.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
SWDK said:
Wow...thanks for all the replies. I plan to keep my tortoise inside most of the year due to where I live. I'm from northeastern PA and live in a mountainous area at 2000' elevation. I start the coal furnace in mid/late October and shut it down in late April. I do have a few months where I can get the tortoise outside. My deck gets good sunlight do I could make an outside deck enclosure as well.

Since you live in the Northeast, I'd recommend the eastern Hermann tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri). These tortoises come from Eastern Europe, which is somewhat similar in climate to where you live. Being from Eastern Europe, eastern Hermann tortoises not only tolerate the cold, but they also prefer higher humidity levels. Their nice personality is a nice bonus. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.