Getting a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
I have a sulcata that will be a year in August. I'm debating whether or not to get him a friend. I'm scared he might be a bully though since he hasn't been around other tortoises most of his life. Any advice?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
From what I've heard, most tortoises, sulcatas especially, don't really need, and do they rarely appreciate, having a friend.

Another tortoise to them is just competition for food and space.

Some tortoise species are okay with "buddies", but that doesn't mean they necessarily want them. I don't believe sulcatas are usually even ones that are okay with it. If you only have two, odds are they are going to constantly be fighting.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I agree with above; from what I've read sulcates, the next being russians, do not like friends.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
The short answer is, no - I would strongly recommend not getting another for the purpose of being tortoise friends.

Sulcatas are solitary, they feel no need for a friend, they also dont perceive it as a "friend", but as a competitor or mate. You CAN have two, although you would have to keep them separate.

Pairs do not work well, I believe the dynamic changes with 3 though (I do not know much about this).

This topic gets brought up alot, I think Tom or someone has a sticky thread on the subject.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you have the room for two seperate enclosurea and a large yard and can afford two.. then do it. but Dont do it for your tort.. he doenst want a friend.

elvis

5 Year Member
southern calif
Don't do unless you plan on separating them when they mature. That's what just happened to me. Complete harmony for almost 7 years. Until a month ago PUBERTY!!! Now I've got to divide my yard

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
More than likely your tortoise won't view it as a friend, it will view it as competition, that is how tortoises are wired. they very rarely work well in pairs, plus there is the size factor, your tortoise may inure the other. I always say never get another tortoise because you think yours wants a friend , get another one because you want another one. In all aspects of tortoise husbandry you should always put the tortoise's feelings first.

Status
Not open for further replies.