Getting a Russian Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty

5 Year Member
How do I convince my parents to let me get a Russian Tortoise? I really want one.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I believe you will be the creative drive here....you know your parents...you know yourself....are you ready to commit to a lifetime ? If cared for well, they can live alot of years.... :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You start by doing A LOT of research. Find out everything there is to know about housing, feeding and caring for your intended pet. Do a project on it. Write it down. Find out the costs of every bit of equipment you need. As well as the setup costs there are ongoing food and care costs... and vet bills... that must be paid.

You start saving. If you want it that much be prepared to pay some or all of the costs. We are in harsh economic times and your parents may have very good financial reasons for not wanting to spend that they don't feel able to, and shouldn't have to, share with you.

You do your share of the chores without argument and put the same effort into your school work that you put into tortoise research. If you can't be bothered to do these why should your parents believe you will be bothered to look after your pet?

You don't argue, yell or sulk when discussing it with your parents. If you do, the answer will be an immediate NO. You have to keep your cool and show you are mature enough to take on a life-long pet.

Torts can and do out-live their owners. Your pet will be your responsibility for the next 70 or so years and then the responsibility of someone else for decades too. What will happen as you go to college? What will happen when you go on holiday?

I'm a Mum. I have two teenagers and a tort that has been part of the family for 42 years and counting. It's a big commitment.

Good luck :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Torty said:
How do I convince my parents to let me get a Russian Tortoise? I really want one.

Just find out which one is having an affair and blackmale them! :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The best way it to prove to them that you know what you are talking about (research) and that this is not just a passing fad. I was lucky my parents bought me my first turtle on my 8th birthday which installed my love for these guys for almost the past 30 years.

Also don't whine or complain if at first things don't go your way.

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
my mum wouldnt let me have a tortoise because she thinks they are "ugly". luckily my mum and dad are divorced, and since my dad produces crickets and locusts for a living (he's well into the reptile world), i asked him if he could get hold of a tort for me.
Next time i saw my dad he had a baby t. h. boettgeri for me :D my mum admitted that it was "kind of cute anyway" and problem solved :D

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
My 10-year old son did exactly what JoesMum said above. He researched everything. He would show me websites and videos on youtube about tortoise care. He dragged me to pet shop after pet shop to show me the tortoises. He saved up all his money. For two years, he asked, begged, pleaded. But he rarely sulked or threw a fit when I explained that I still needed time to think about it. I had to think about it because I knew that ultimately they would be a family responsibility. Two years that kid held out! He demonstrated real interest and a consistent interest over time.

Finally, it was me who found them on Craigslist. I was just looking to see what was out there. They came with all the equipment necessary to keep them which made it much simpler because we didn't have to do the full set up. And because they were an adoption, the price was lower than a pet store sale.

He has been a good care-taker to them since. He never complains when I tell him it's time to feed, clean or soak.

Status
Not open for further replies.