Getting a second tortoise

Luke1027

Location (City and/or State)
York
Hi all, just a quick question. I have had my Horsefield tortoise for a couple of years now but have recently got a baby Hermann. I have him in a open top table at the moment but have come across a few websites now that say a vivarium would be better. Which one should I choose? Thought I’d ask here as I have had some great advice in the past.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need a closed chamber. Search this forum for the closed chamber thread. It would be equal to the vivarium.
Also incase you didnt know, the two can not live together now or as adults.

Luke1027

York
You need a closed chamber. Search this forum for the closed chamber thread. It would be equal to the vivarium.
Also incase you didnt know, the two can not live together now or as adults.
Wow that was fast. Thank you for the speedy reply. I will have a look.

They are in separate tables and I’m building them separate outdoor enclosures at the moment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, just a quick question. I have had my Horsefield tortoise for a couple of years now but have recently got a baby Hermann. I have him in a open top table at the moment but have come across a few websites now that say a vivarium would be better. Which one should I choose? Thought I’d ask here as I have had some great advice in the past.
A large vivarium would be better. Be aware that almost everything you find online and pet shops is the wrong care info. Here is the right care info for both species:

Luke1027

York
A large vivarium would be better. Be aware that almost everything you find online and pet shops is the wrong care info. Here is the right care info for both species:
Thank you for the information. Some great stuff in here. Ill find some time later to read through it again.

Looks like I might need to make a few changes.

Reactions: Tom