Getting back into Redfoot keeping

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Now that I'm retired...And it looks like a wont be moving out of state. I'm seriously considering taking on more Redfoot tortoises. Not to rehome. (I still do that) But to keep. Such as I have with my long term friend Julio.
I am interested in purchasing a few spectacularly colorful adult or sub adult animals. As many as 4 more. These will be a new group in my permanent collection.
I can drive to look at what you have but you must be relatively close by. I've never felt really comfortable about shipping tortoises. Nor have I ever done so.
Thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ha! I’m semi-retired—you old geezer
I recommend super tight hygienic quarantine measures and to move very slowly on acquisitions. Be careful not to pollute the group you already have time invested in.
Great advice.
Hopefully I can get a few from the same source.
Fingers crossed. That way I can move them in to the primary pen and move Julio out to a singles retreat.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome, do you still have the "Wild Child"
Yes.
And Julio.
But Wild Child is spoken for. ( I think). I've only ever intended to keep Julio.
I've had the wild child for over a year now. I only see him/her once or twice a month. Kinda keep forgetting about him.
A member has continued to show interest and has met my pretty strict criteria.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ha! I’m semi-retired—you old geezer
I recommend super tight hygienic quarantine measures and to move very slowly on acquisitions. Be careful not to pollute the group you already have time invested in.
Technically I'm also still only semi retired.
I'm working 15 hours a week at Lowes to boost my pension check and to keep me from sleeping all day long.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Technically I'm also still only semi retired.
I'm working 15 hours a week at Lowes to boost my pension check and to keep me from sleeping all day long.

I’m working three days a week (actually more) at the same job I’ve been at for 29 years. Doing way less of the physical work, of course. But I still have full insurance which is like gold these days.
Recuperating from total shoulder replacement as I write this...one handed.
Good grief, trying to pick up an adult red-foot tortoise one handed doesn’t really work. Does it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I’m working three days a week (actually more) at the same job I’ve been at for 29 years. Doing way less of the physical work, of course. But I still have full insurance which is like gold these days.
Recuperating from total shoulder replacement as I write this...one handed.
Good grief, trying to pick up an adult red-foot tortoise one handed doesn’t really work. Does it?
No. They get heavy.
My insurance is almost $800 a month. The state kicks in $150 per month as part of my pension. But that's still a $600 bill. It's something I never took for granted. I also had the same job for 36 years.
I started as a kid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you only had the regular RFs in the past, but have you considered the cherry heads? Allegraf has some of the prettiest tortoises I've ever seen!

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Ed, I'm sorry to read of your change of plans, but so life goes. We try to set our direction, but life steers the course. I wish I had known of your intentions as I just rehomed my two nice females last month in order to focus on my leopards a little more. I would have been pleased to pass them on to you. I'm sure you'll wind up with a great herd, please keep us posted. Welcome back.
Dave

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ed, I'm sorry to read of your change of plans, but so life goes. We try to set our direction, but life steers the course. I wish I had known of your intentions as I just rehomed my two nice females last month in order to focus on my leopards a little more. I would have been pleased to pass them on to you. I'm sure you'll wind up with a great herd, please keep us posted. Welcome back.
Dave
Thanks.
This hobby isnt like keeping hamsters that live just 3 years.
Long term thinking is required and things have changed.
I'm considering Cherry heads this time.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
I think I understand. I still have the little Cherryhead you gave me a few years ago, I find it to be a great little creature. It's grown well, but is still too small for me to sex definitively yet, at 6". I couldn't bring myself to let it go when I moved my female redfoots last month. It has developed some nice marbling (which I find appealing), and has light gold irises. Of all my torts, this one will bob it's head and signal others, or so, it did with the other redfoots. I'm quite attached to it, and while I have never had intentions of breeding my leopards, I do consider a little cherryhead colony and trying to turn out some high-colored animals. But then we get back to life steering our course... If for some reason it turns out that I have to let this one go, I'll reach out to you.