Getting Concerned

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
We returned the hatchling to her former shade tree and she was so excited! She took off exploring and SHE ATE!!! :D We stayed with her for a good hour and then a storm began to roll in, so we returned home. I noticed that she keyed in on the weather change because she headed closer to the tree trunk to take shelter. It was so cool to see her natural instincts guide her. I wish her a happy life!!….Now to do more research and find a tortoise that I can actually keep! We already miss her!!
Kudos to you and your family. Tortoises really are so special and have a way of making people fall in love with them so quickly. I know it had to have been really hard to put her back where you found her, but you truly did the best thing you could have, for her and her species. Please don’t become a stranger. There’s so much great information on this forum and a lot of great people too. Sticking around and letting us help will make your journey to owning a tortoise much easier and less stressful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Way too cool. So glad you shared with us
I see you got bit by the tortoise bug. It is a strong hold.
Keep learning from this forum only. Most info out there is wrong and outdated.
We are always willing to help

Kookie

Georgia
Kudos to you and your family. Tortoises really are so special and have a way of making people fall in love with them so quickly. I know it had to have been really hard to put her back where you found her, but you truly did the best thing you could have, for her and her species. Please don’t become a stranger. There’s so much great information on this forum and a lot of great people too. Sticking around and letting us help will make your journey to owning a tortoise much easier and less stressful.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words! It definitely tugged at mine and my daughter’s heart strings to release her, but we ultimately want what is best for her! I will definitely stick around to learn as much as we can so we can give a tortoise a loving home!!

Kookie

Georgia
Way too cool. So glad you shared with us
I see you got bit by the tortoise bug. It is a strong hold.
Keep learning from this forum only. Most info out there is wrong and outdated.
We are always willing to help
I am grateful to have found this forum and all of you lovely people! The tortoise bug is no joke! Lol. It has been a fun experience for sure!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
We returned the hatchling to her former shade tree and she was so excited! She took off exploring and SHE ATE!!! :D We stayed with her for a good hour and then a storm began to roll in, so we returned home. I noticed that she keyed in on the weather change because she headed closer to the tree trunk to take shelter. It was so cool to see her natural instincts guide her. I wish her a happy life!!….Now to do more research and find a tortoise that I can actually keep! We already miss her!!
LOOK at how happy that hatchling is being released back where it was. he/she is eating again!!

Kookie

Georgia
LOOK at how happy that hatchling is being released back where it was. he/she is eating again!!
The hatchling was a female. She was SOOO happy!! Watching her perk up was the coolest thing!! I noticed how picky of an eater she was too! Now I need to figure out what to cook to use all the leafy greens I bought for her LOL!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The hatchling was a female. She was SOOO happy!! Watching her perk up was the coolest thing!! I noticed how picky of an eater she was too! Now I need to figure out what to cook to use all the leafy greens I bought for her LOL!
Just an fyi. Tortoises can't be sexed until around 5 years of age, give or take. A male may flash sooner. They all look female when young.
So when looking to buy one, don't get fooled by the breeders/sellers that will say it's this or that sex.
They can be sex temp incubated but it's not that reliable.
If it's not surgically sexed which usually they won't be, then it's a wait and see.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I recommend making a green smoothie! That’s what I had to do when I had too much leftover dandelions last winter (store bought).