Getting ready for my first sully

Grimjob

Hey all,

So I'll be getting my first tortoise and it's a silly I've been doing some extensive research and here is what I can understand (putting up those thread to make sure I've got it right)
So he/she will be housed indoors for the first few years until he/she grows to big and then will be set up outdoors.

So I'm planning on going with a closed chamber setup. So they need a basking spot of about 100f (37c) produced by a mvb which gets turned of at night. and an overall tank temp of 80f (26c) produced by a che under a thermostat. does the che stay on throughout the night? What should the night time temp be?

Humidity up around the 90-100%

2 ceramic potting bases for water

A hid box with plenty of spaphgnum moss and high humidity in the box

Daily soakings in warm water and plenty of outdoor time.

Plan to set it up similar to the pic just closed chambers

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for all the help.

Nathan. Aus

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 26

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hey all,

So I'll be getting my first tortoise and it's a silly I've been doing some extensive research and here is what I can understand (putting up those thread to make sure I've got it right)
So he/she will be housed indoors for the first few years until he/she grows to big and then will be set up outdoors.

So I'm planning on going with a closed chamber setup. So they need a basking spot of about 100f (37c) produced by a mvb which gets turned of at night. and an overall tank temp of 80f (26c) produced by a che under a thermostat. does the che stay on throughout the night? What should the night time temp be?

Humidity up around the 90-100%

2 ceramic potting bases for water

A hid box with plenty of spaphgnum moss and high humidity in the box

Daily soakings in warm water and plenty of outdoor time.

Plan to set it up similar to the pic just closed chambers

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for all the help.

Nathan. Aus
A cute little tort. :D

And a very warm welcome to the forum!;)

Luke leith

5 Year Member
Leave the Che on all night if it keeps it at 80. Humidity should be 80%
GOOD LUCK HAPPY TORTING!!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Sounds pretty good. You should have a humid hide box at one end (mine was opposite end of his enclosure). You can buy a plastic shoe box for $1. You cut a hole for your little one and turnt it upside down. I just looked at your picture. How many bulbs do you have? Looks like 4.

itiswhatitis

He said similar to setup in picture.

That's my old setup before fixing it.
There was Che light/basking light75and50watt/ and regular buld to help Grass grow. To basking lights where best way to keep my tank correct temps.

Che was only ran at night. And 50 watt basking light kicked on only when temp tank hit 79 or lower.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Have you read this?? This will tell you everything you need, there is also tortoise diet ones for food

Grimjob

Yeh I have read this. This thread was just to make sure that I understood what I was reading. Once I have my setup done I'll take full pics. And people can give me advice. I was going to use like a 6500k fluro tube to help the plants grow in the enclosure. Would this be good?

Grimjob

This is the tank I plan on using. Anything wrong with it? Will completely seal the timber so no moisture will affect the wood

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

Grimjob

Very nice and will work for a little bit but it won't be long before the Sully out grows it.
It's 120cm long. So like 4ft. How quick do sully a grow? (Carapace length) I've been trying to find a rough estimate of how much Sally's grow each year. Any opinions on that?

Nathan

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Mine turns 2 on Friday. it is just over 10" and 8 pounds. There is another member on here with a 2 year old that is almost 30 pounds. They all grow at different rates but if raised right I believe they grow quickly.
Look at @Maro2Bear

Grimjob

I think they are so cute little but I'm excited to see him/her grown up