Getting ready for my first tortoise, suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midgaar

5 Year Member
So my family and I decided we were going to get a pet tortoise. So my wife and I did some research on the Internet and got ourselves a book. We decided to build our own tortoise table to house our new pet. I'm looking for suggestions or criticisms on what I've built so far.

The table stands on it's own legs about 18"(45cm) off the ground. It runs 72" (183cm) long x 21" (53cm) wide x 16" (40cm) high.

If you can see in the pictures there is a second floor loft basking area where I will have a 160W Mercury UV-Heat lamp hanging. I'll keep this on 10-12 hours per day at a temp of 90-95*F (32-35*C). I also have a large flat rock I plan on placing up there. The under side of the loft will be a hide-a-way area. I'm not sure what the temp will be under there so I have another hide-a-way log on the right side of the table. The temps on the other end of the table should never be above 85*F (30*C) but will average at 75-80*F (24-27*C). On the right side of the table I have a catus and aloe plant and were the rocks are in that corner I have some cat grass and oregano seeds I just started.

The bedding is a layer of Sphagnum Moss on the bottom to lighten the load then a nice think layer of Coco Coir. In some spots a top layer of hey to keep the coir out of the food and water try. I plan on putting a larger standing water try next to the food try. The bedding is about 5" (12cm) think and thinker behind the log so the tortoise can burrow if it likes. I'll be placing something (hardware cloth, wood) over the corners to prevent escape.

The tortoise will be either a Russian or Cherry Headed Redfoot, haven't made up our minds yet. Leaning towards the Russian, any suggestions? Anything I miss or need to add? Should I add more light?

I forgot to mention this will be the tortoise's only housing until next spring when I will be able to build a small 9'x6' outdoor pen. Also would I be able to fit a pair of baby tortoises in the indoor table?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Once you decide which of the torts mentioned.. you will then have to modify the lighting and temps and humidity to accomodate that particular species. What you have created "most" suits the Russian.. not the redfoot. Then again it may be too humid for the Russian.. there are "mostly" Russian keepers here so they know more about them!

And there are only a couple of us that actually have years of "hands-on" experience with the redfoot tortoises.. see links under my signature. Keeping in mind [ starting with hatchlings ] they get almost twice as big in 10 years also.

Terry K

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I really do not reccomend housing hatchlings together. In the wild, they fight for whatever resources they get...therefore, if you have two hatchlings that both want the entire plate of food, or the best basking spot, ONE of them is going to go without.

They just wouldn't come across each other in the wild. Tortoises are not naturally social. They do not need companionship.

Often times, females will live together peacefully, but again, I wouldn't chance it with hatchlings. There is a member here that had two greek tortoise hatchlings, identical in age, size, species. Both seemed fine, but only one grew at a normal rate. The other tortoise was not growing because its "friend" was resource hogging. The dominant tortoise ate the most food etc etc. And these torts were the same age and everything, and raised together their entire lives.

So, IMO its not a good idea. It usually causes more damage than good.

That's a beautiful table btw. If you go redfoot, you'll need to remove the hay because it will mold, and moldy hay is extremely toxic. You'll also need to cover atleast a portion of the table to keep in humidity. And you won't be able to use a Mercury Vapor Bulb. Redfoots don't like bright light at all. You would need a tube UVB light and a ceramic heat emitter (that doesn't create light)

Russian wise, I wouldn't advise using hay either. Hatchling tortoises are not as tough as adults. I would be afraid of the little one getting an eye poked out. Walking on hay isn't very stable either. Not good for developing leg muscles. Keep that in mind wiht the clusters of rocks too. You don't want something slippery in there.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Midgaar, welcome to the forum. I love your tort table. I commend you for doing research prior to getting a tort lots of people don't and have problems. But Redfoot NERD is correct you will have to decide which type of tort you are getting to set them up correctly. Redroots or cherry heads need lots of humidity as they are forest type torts were Russian, Greeks or Hermann’s are more desert type torts and will do well in the table as you have it. If you get hatchlings you will need to remove the hay as it will mold. And hatchlings take a more humid environment than older juveniles or adults. Torts are solitary animals coming together to mate or in passing. However I do house hatchlings together and they do fine. I have even put a hatchling in with others because it was not eating etc and it sparked it to compete and is now doing fine. Hatchlings are cute but they are much harder to care for than older torts. Russians have great personalities are fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain as a lot of pet stores carry them. However I suggest you try a rescue to acquire a tort there are plenty out there that need rescuing. Good luck and keep us informed.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah, once you decide the tort. things will have to change, but the table looks good. Its big enough to house hatching together, I keep my 4 mt. tortoise together, My leopards are paired up no problem. As long as they have enough room, which it looks like they will, and hides. Let us know what you decide and we can help you out even more...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Will someone please tell me where the notion of "Torts are solitary animals" came from? Are we "lumping" ALL species together? If so.. why do mine [ with the exception of maybe 1 out of 10 ] always "snuggle-up" together? They have plenty of room to roam!

Nerd

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfoot NERD said:
Will someone please tell me where the notion of "Torts are solitary animals" came from? Are we "lumping" ALL species together? If so.. why do mine [ with the exception of maybe 1 out of 10 ] always "snuggle-up" together? They have plenty of room to roam!

Nerd

I think its because when found in the wild you usually only find one at a time, and usually never more than one in the same burrow.

Yvonne

Midgaar

5 Year Member
So we are pretty sure we are going to go with the Russian. I placed the UV-Heat light hanging over the backing area today and the temps only read about 90*F. The bulb is about 24" from the dirt, think I should move it closer? This is a 160 watt bulb and the directions say to keep it like 48" or more away. Also the other end of the table seems kind of dim, light wise, think I should toss up some shop lights or something overhead? Anyone have any good experiences ordering their tortoises off the internet or can recommend a good place to get one?

http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/
or
http://www.theturtlesource.com
Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks for all the help!!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
go blue beast. The turtle source has a bad rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.